Banner Ad 1

Revell of Germany return letter to me - IX-C and XXI Uboats

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby Turbobearcat » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:41 am

I wrote Revell Of Germany a letter last night and was suprissed to see a reply already! I basically asked if they had plans on building a follow up on the VII Uboat.. here is the long winded answer I got. :-)
Dear Mr. Hampton,
thank you very much for your e-mail and your interest in our products.

Your product proposals and comments are collected and then checked for their marketability. Due to the large number of comments and letters we receive, it is not possible to include all the products proposed. The selection of new models is based on a variety of criteria, including of course market analyses. We do our best to offer a comprehensive range covering various themes.

Nevertheless we thank you very much for your suggestions and we will include them into our proposal list for the coming years.

Regards,
S. Haller

Now we are a global Club..so People start writing them to convince them to BUILD the IX-C and the XXI Uboats in 1/72 scale. :-)

Mark :D
"Prepare for ramming speed!"
Turbobearcat

Postby Mkeatingss » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:46 am

Sorry, Mark, but I have to disagree. I want a Gato/Balao/Tench Guppy, in 1:72. And a choice of sails, would be a nice addition.
Mike

P.S.Actually a <>1:125 Guppy, with interior detail, would be my vision of the ultimate.
I don't suffer from ulcers, I'm a carrier.
Mkeatingss

Postby Turbobearcat » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:49 am

I rather have the XXI any day but you are right about the Gato class, nice boat but compared to the sleak lines of the XXI, I'll buy it!

but as Shakespear said " To each Thine own"

Mark
Turbobearcat

Postby Torsten » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:03 pm

I met a friend of mine in Hamburg last week.
He's a retailer and told me that next year Revell is going to
put out variations of the VIIc.
There will be other turrets to create different versions.
What is also planned is another surface-ship to match the VIIc.
Don't know about other subs so far.....but i cross my fingers :D

Torsten
Torsten

Postby Turbobearcat » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:16 pm

When you say "Surfaceship" could be possible mean a Bismarck or Scharnhorst? If they build a 1/350 scale Scharnhorst I'm buying it! :-D but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the XXI or even a XXIII boat! :-)

Mark
Turbobearcat

Postby "horridoh" » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:10 am

It has been a long time since i have wrote - "anything" _ down in this {forum} ........Largly in part as i see some people---seem to think of "one type of diving torpedo.....boat,"and one type---at all!!! You know I've been on board American Submarines of WWII, and let me say that for the record: I am an American. And the fact that not only did we win the War, The Greatest war of all time! But that we did it at a great price. A great price for FREEDOM! And as we see in our world today-that ain't free eighter! I loved German U-boats-my entire-Life! "However" You go on board--An American fleet boat,and I'll tell you people-something, you would have much,....MUCH, rather had been in one of those-submarines,and on our side-in those days,over that Type VII U-boat!! Want me to make it "clearer".......It's the differance of driving,and liveing in an ford pinto, ..verses a Motor home!!-Decked out,at that!!!! So again, your chances----of actually surviving-that great war,---would have been one "_ _ ll" of a differance,......then in that Type VII U-boat! You people ask yourself,,,,,,,,,,,which one you would have been inside of,if you were at war????? I will tell you! Go on board one! There are quit a few of them.......and then see for yourself. So too the man up above this {comment} I will go along and say,"Yes" would it be nice,if some-group,company, Individual, etc,etc......go-the distance,and make that "Beautiful" fleet boat,our pride of the NAVY!
Darren Groshek
"horridoh"

Postby Mkeatingss » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:54 am

I agree with Mark, the Type XXIs were beautiful, sleek looking boats. Which is one of the reasons I'd like a Guppy. The Guppies were modifications made, based on the Type XXI boats.
But I have two more reasons to prefer the Guppy. First, those are the boats I qualified and served one. And, secondly, in 1:72 scale, it'd be almost 52 inches long.
Think of the detail possible! White Ensign, Modelbrass, Eduard, etal, could go nuts on after market fittings. With the variations between these boats the possibilities are endless.
As for Revell comming out with a surface skimmer, contemperory to the U-boot, GREAT!!! Most of the hunters were 300+ feet long. And an Edsall (not ot br confused with the Edsel) or Buckley class DE would be outstanding.
There is one downside to these hugh models. Mine, and other wives, could spend the rest of their lives in prison. For beating their husbands to death with the models, unopened, and still in the boxes. :laugh:
Mike
Mkeatingss

Postby "horridoh" » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:41 pm

:cool: "Yeah," and I agree with me. And the 1/72nd scale DE's or DD's will be the very thing needed for you to show too you people, that think that Revell is even "remotly" interested in doing-a "Scharnhorst"...in 1/72nd scale,or for that matter..........any other scale "a big laugh!!!!" If they do decide-of with i don't believe at all they will. You would see the {very vesile} that brought the German U-boat to it's Dimise! That apart from the Type XXI of course. But then that wasen't meant to be ! Oh, friend that served aboard that Guppy class boat? Those diden't even have {apart from sea-keeping at high speeds under water,any of the "REAL" problems that where fond in that type XXI by it's-latter Navy's that had used it. Of which only "one" was used!!! Do you know how many "countrys" "used" the United states fleet boat-of WWII.....even so long after we had gotten-ride of the old boats??? Many!!!That's how GOOD OUR Fleet BOATS WERE!!!
Darren Groshek
"horridoh"

Postby Turbobearcat » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:32 pm

I think revell would build a 1/350 scale of the Scharnhorst, they have a smaller 1/570 scale already but yet this was a very well build warship back in WWII and it fought very bravely until the bitter end. People do speak of the German boats and the American boats, either if fine but I will add something to say about the different boats. I too have been on the Gato class sub compared to a IX class Uboat, both had their spaces being the Gato larger and faster but they fought under different conditions in the war.
If you pull the stats on the US Sub fleet, we lost 52 subs out of 288 in the war, the Japanese were not known for the AntiSubmarine warfare, their depth charges were set too shallow most of the time and we had a field day sinking their ships.
Now the Germans had more subs 1158 built but over 400 were lost in Action (figures come from Uboat.net and the US Navy dept) The germans enjoyed the early part of the war since there was no Antisub forces around but when the Brits and the US began the hunting, the rules of the game was changed.
If the US had met an enemy that was more advanced then the Japs at the imte, our losses would have been much higher!
So I'm not knocking anybodys boats. People like what they like, in my case I think the XXI boats were the best of WWII followed by the Gato class US , IX class and then the Jap I-Class fleet subs.

Mark

P.S.

Revell builds 1/350 scale battleships..I'm hoping for a Sharnhorst class battlecruiser, the one I have is only 1/400 scale and is fully RC controlled..
Turbobearcat

Postby Mkeatingss » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:56 pm

I like the idea of a 1:72 DD/DE. A Rudderow, Buckley or Edsall, class, DE would be around 51 inches long, and Fletcher, Gearing or Sumner DD would be a little over 5 feet. It'd give a good comparison as to how small their prey was.
Now, for a Sharnhorst, in that scale, you're talking 10 feet 5 inches, or so. And if you think that's big, think about the probable price tag. :laugh:
Mike
Mkeatingss

Postby "horridoh" » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:22 pm

:D My point of view exactly! Thanks MKeatingss. And as far as the other gentleman is concerned: I studied-submarine design,it's benifits on the German war machine, as well as the American side,all of my Life. Have built and have been on the {two} the U-505 when i was just (9) years of age. It also was the time in which-forever more in my lifespan I was a deadacated submarine enthuiast two say the least. Have made so many {scale models of them} starting when I was just 9,and I'm now 38. The differance between the Gato/Baloe and the Type IX: Is a world apart,in submarine design,characteristics,improved "everything" from the {comfort of living,} to the boat itself with Radar, size, steel used in the Baloe class boats for example: All these things,as well as the quality of life,and give me a brake. The Type IX you can go threw in (two) minutes! The Baloe-all day too see the amount of technolgy not to mention Radar, size, comfort........What do you think wins wars? Crew comfort, is a high priority, in my book! As well as the fact that "would you want to live on a boat that had none-of those features? The stress level,exhaustion-kills! and cramped living conditions,only worsen as time goes by. So think about what you are saying. I very well know abou the Japs,and there lack of {brains} in the ASW theater,but I still will say about that which I have stated:
Darren Groshek
"horridoh"

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:13 pm

The idea that the U.S. fleetboats were built primarily with 'creature comforts' (principally a/c) in mind is a fallacy that keeps on reoccuring. These boats were built with such things as air conditioning in order to keep the electronics from overheating...not the crew. The crew's added comfort was a beneficial by-product. :p

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby "horridoh" » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:13 pm

:laugh: I don't recall Mr LaRue, even mentioning air conditioning! No-were: And the other reasons are {overwhelming} as the differances between the Navy's and what our U.S NAVY in particular carred for it's men. I think you ,and all others forget one very valuable thing here. What side would-you have joined? What princible thing is it about the U-boats in {general} that keep-so many of you tuned two? "Really?" Is it just the simple mater of LOOkS ? Is that not the real case for so - many? I believe..that it is. Do you know about spacious living conditions,and what it means to moral? Go on board the U.S.S. COBIA Then go on board the U-505: and then tell me all about what you see. I'm not a blind man. And I don't recall a matter of thinking-under the obvious,either. Had the U.S. Incountered any other force,-it would have WON also! Or does someone out there dispute this ? We Had/have the greatest military might in the world,always had it! Even in the cold War! "Yes," I know it would...had still meant MUD: BUT THEN I LOOK AT WHO IS LEFT NOW! :p And another thing before I go, we had shower rooms on board! Think what you will,on just that matter alone.Should I add latter-more? I will.
Darren Groshek
"horridoh"

Postby Turbobearcat » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:38 pm

I'm not sure where that other guy crawled from but he is so far out of line it's horrible. First off this post was about my letter to Revell of Germany and if they are thinking about following up with say a type IX or XXI Uboat or possible a 1/350 scale of the Scharnhorst, but somehow somebody takes things out of context and runs with the following
1. a 1/72 scale Scharnhorst? Heck my wife would kill me if I came into the house with something that big if the words" Here is the keys to your new sportscar, it's the garage"
2. It is a KNOWN fact that if the US has to fight against a strogner foe in WWII than the Japs in the pacific our losses would have been FAR GREATER . The Japanese were geared to more of Surface conflicts, using subs for more of intelligence gathering, sometimes those captains were lucky and scored nice hits like the USS Hornet a destroyer sitting behind it and the USS Carolina. Take it the German boats were smaller than the American boats so they would be cramped, this all changed when the XXI came into the game, abit late in the war or else we might have been speaking alot of German about right now.
to say that because we are the only ones standing inthe end is Pompus in thinking and this is the very same Attitude that the world hates us for now. The bottom line which is known had the roles been reversed,the Germans would have fared better in the Pacific fighting the Japanese and we would have had more losses in the Atlantic Ocean fighting say the Brittish.
But I must throw in one note, Who gave the Britts their gear?
WE DID... but let's just say if they had the Technology we had, we would have suffered the same losses as the Germans.

Mark
Turbobearcat

Postby Turbobearcat » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:57 pm

A 1/350 scale Sharnhorst is on my wish list, that would be about 28 inches long I think :-) beats my 1/400 scale RC boat I have now. :-)

Mark

can we just start a WISH LIST instead of the flaming? hehe
Turbobearcat

Next

Return to Static Modeler