Banner Ad 1

Revell Type VII photoetch - any interest?

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby oforberg » Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:05 pm

I am also interested and will purchase a deck..

I have the kit and am in the process of converting it to r/c. It will either be a dynamic diver or surface runner and either will be ok with me.

Been dinging around with subs,boats planes and r/c for about 40 years......some not screaming successes other ok.

Would like any info from anybody else that is giving this a shot.
oforberg

Postby Jdlockh » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:04 pm

I am also interested in the deck, and I plan to get one when they are ready.

I have one boat with a second on order with plans to convert it to RC. In addition, is someone planning to make a torpedo kit for the model? I would like to have the four bow tubs and one stern tube.

I am planning to build my own WTC, and I want to know if there are any ideas on how to make the stern dive planes operational? In addition, what type of ballast system would be the best to use?

Thanks

James
Jdlockh

Postby safrole » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:08 pm

Well there will soon be a lot of WTC conversions out, ranging in features and price. The only one I know you of so far that has pictures posted is Bruggen's, who is currently attending a trade show in Dortmund, Germany. We have spies attending who will report back in the R/C forum. Here is the link to see pics. This is priced about US$750 complete. (ouch)

http://www.modelluboot.de/KITS/VII/VIIc.html
safrole

Postby safrole » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:44 pm

The Revell art is done, except I have a scan coming from a technical manual printed in Germany during WW2. I want to double check the accuracy of my art straight from the source, just to make sure the design is above reproach. You can see what's included at the link below.

--Jason

http://www.modelbrass.com/revell_viic.htm
safrole

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:11 pm

Jason,

It will be interesting to see what you glean from that WW2 manual since I do not believe that the deck in the Revell kit is as accurate as it could be.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Casey Thrower » Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:02 pm

safrole wrote: This is priced about US$750 complete. (ouch)

Complete? Is this with radio and all? If not, he's way out of line in price.
Casey Thrower SC Member #1675

"Oh Lord, Thy sea is so large and my boat is so small"
Casey Thrower

Postby safrole » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:11 pm

JWLaRue wrote:Jason,

It will be interesting to see what you glean from that WW2 manual since I do not believe that the deck in the Revell kit is as accurate as it could be.

-Jeff

Yes I am very curious about it too. I will let you know if it's really the holy grail of decksplans. I doubt it would controvert any of the present body of evidence, but it's a good path to follow for the purists uboot modelers who thrive on authenticity.

Edited By safrole on 1083028331
safrole

Postby safrole » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:14 pm

Casey Thrower wrote:
safrole wrote: This is priced about US$750 complete. (ouch)

Complete? Is this with radio and all? If not, he's way out of line in price.

Woops! I saw the euro symbol and thought it was pounds. (American mistake)

Looks to be tipping the scales at about $530.

(Still pretty salty.)
safrole

Postby ThorDesign » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:24 pm

That is exactly why we decided not to pursue it any further. It is almost as cost effiecient to start with a completely new pattern VS. trying to make this one seaworthy. There is a tremendous amount of work to make this boat go!
ThorDesign

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:51 pm

Jason,

Out of curiosity, what WW2 manual are you referring too?

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby safrole » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:36 am

Well I don't know yet. I asked on of my guys and he said "I have just the thing, a manual from..." and gave me the general description I gave you. Now I call him up and bother him at least every other day. Don't get your hopes up. It's too late for me - mine are already up.<grin>

$500+ for a pocket sub does seem like a lot of money. It's a beauty, though, and turning tight circles inside my swimming pool would be a real attraction. I'd like to hear how many he sells.

I guess the advent of a cheap, pretty skin doesn't save a lot of money in the long run. You're basically buying a sub kit, minus the hull. I guess $500+ makes more sense when thought of that way.
safrole

Postby sam reichart » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:29 am

Jason-
I sent you an email inquiring about availability and price to your modelbrass address. Can you give an update status here as well, please?

thanks,
Sam
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby safrole » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:45 pm

Yes Sam I saw your email but had not yet had time to reply. This forum is fine, as it will kill a few birds with one stone.

Bottom line: a couple weeks, which might sound strangely familiar...

$35 is where I want to be on price.

The current plan behind the scenes: (for any who care)

Saturday: Rebuild the current vacuum frame with solacryl instead of regular plexiglass. My lovely 90 second exposure time shot up to around 6 minutes because I used plexiglass I had on hand instead of the correct stuff, which is always a special order. Fed Ex is bringing me four sheets on Saturday.

Sunday-Tue/Wed(?):Run the Robbe decks, for which the world is so patiently waiting. Order Revell brass.

Thurs: Run protos of Revell

Fri: Finalize the art, reprint positives

Weekend: Run Revells

The art is giving me some trouble, too. I don't purport to be a uboat master, which is why I must rely on those who are. So I will pass on the following opinions. It seems the Revell boat has some mixed characteristics, some from one variant, some from another, and some features that are just wrong altogether. The misplaced anchor well is identically misplaced in one drawing, but that's the only one, and the boat is not a perfect match even to that plan. It's all very confusing, and most agree that the master was not sculpted to any one boat, at least not reliably.

Where does this leave deck art? Well, to use an American euphemism, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I want to reproduce the right variant and go with it, but who's to say what is the right one, since it seems Revell did not stick to one variant. This is my quandry.

Anyway the rough protos will ensure the perimeter shape and the little trinkets are good, and I have a friend in Germany who is working on another "holy grail" decksplan that should arrive before the final art revision. There is pressure on me to quit stalling over art and just copy the Revell deck. First to market is very important, and suitability for the purpose is already exceeded. Plus if I have any sense, I have to defer to experienced people who are motivated to help me.

I started out lukewarm on this project, but I really underestimated the amount of interest in it. And my German friends are very enthusiastic about it too, so I'm eager to see what's ahead.

Sorry to write a book, it's a problem I'm working on. :)
safrole

Postby safrole » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:54 pm

Oh yes about the earlier "holy grail", which fell through. It was some kind of manual, but the drawings were cutaways and exploded views, nothing to be used as a blueprint or anything. I regret bringing it up, and that's why I didn't say too much about this next plan set I may be getting. But I will tell you that if it comes through it will be a very worthy reference.
safrole

Previous

Return to Static Modeler