Banner Ad 1

Revell: matching Gato?

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby Casey Thrower » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:42 am

Anyone know if rumors that Revell will release a 1:72 Gato to go with the new U-boat are true? Now that would be nice.
Casey Thrower SC Member #1675

"Oh Lord, Thy sea is so large and my boat is so small"
Casey Thrower

Postby Randy Wise » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:30 am

Good Morning Casey,

I agree, a 1/72 scale Gato/Balao boat would be Heaven. But someone over at HyperScale pointed out that Revell of Germany doesn't usually do U.S. subjects. Maybe with the the huge response to their Type VII-C, that they might reconsider. However, if I were a betting man I'd put my money on a RoG Type IX. That seems like the most logical follow-up don't you think? But if it means anything, I'd vote Gato next, then another U-Boat variant.

Regards,

Randy
Randy Wise

Postby Desert Boat » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:23 pm

Casey ... a 1/72 Fleetboat would 52 inches plus. That's an awful big mold for styrene. Like above, ROG might go with a Type IX as it is German. Best bet would be a Scale Shipyard Gato/Balao in 1/72.
Ray Agee
SCM #2551
Cactus Navy
Tempe, Arizona
Lord ... Shield us from the UltraSensitive!
Desert Boat

Postby ThorDesign » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:43 pm

Guys,

I hate to burst your bubble, but the sources I have been working with in regards to the R/C conversion of the Type VII, which includes a couple of chaps from Revell Germany told me that there are absolutely NO plans what-so-ever to produce a follow on kit of any kind at this time. I know they were looking at a Type IIB or IIC late last year in the same scale, but those plans have now been abandoned in favor of a couple of larger scale WWII aircraft subjects.
ThorDesign

Postby Mkeatingss » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:05 pm

You guys may have busted some peoples bubbles, but not mine. I'm too hardheaded.
I'm working to finish a modified Revell Lionfish/Growler. I've opened up one side and doing an interior detail of a Tench Class Guppy. I'm expecting to be done by August, for the IPMS show, out here in Phoenix.
We have word that some Revell reps are coming. If I can get just one to say, "We can do a better job." I'll be satisfied.
I'd like to see it done in 1:125 scale. It'd go great with the Type VII, with interior detail.
Mike :D
I don't suffer from ulcers, I'm a carrier.
Mkeatingss

Postby Randy Wise » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:41 pm

Com'on Mike,

Pitch that Gato/Balao boat with extreme persistance to those Revell guys. I'm only going to buy and build one U-Boat kit, but I swear as Shep Paine is my witness I'll buy five of the Gato kits if they put it out.

Regards,

Randy
Randy Wise

Return to Static Modeler