Banner Ad 1

Type VIIc ref books

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby Seelöwe » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:54 pm

Hello,
After I got my Revell Uboat, I started looking for reference material, especially books. Many times,
"Anatomy of a Ship - Type VII" by D. Westwood (around 100 pages) and
"U-Boat - the Evolution and technical history of German submarines" by E. Rossler (almost 400 pages) get mentioned.
So what specifically do they contain? Both books are said to have tons of drawings. For those who have these books, are the drawings hand-drawn or made on a computer (CAD/vector prog) and what is the quality like? Are there many close-up photos of the tower, the guns etc. ?
Basically, I would like to detail the protruding elements (tower and its features, guns..) and make them more accurate, so I'm looking for a book that can give me enough information. With that in mind, which one do you guys recommend more, the 100 page Anatomy book about Type VII specifically or the 400 page Rossler book about all of them?

BTW, which U-Boat variant in the instructions most closely resembles U-96 ? It looks like U-69 could be a possibility (is it?).

Thanks in advance.
Seelöwe

Postby Randy Wise » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:22 am

Hey Seelowe,

I can comment specifically on the Anatomy Of The Ship book. My copy arrived the same day that the Revell U-Boat showed up at my door.

In reference to your queries about the drawings, they're very good. All appear to be hand drawn and the manufacturer's blueprints were used as references. The oft mentioned molding errors in the Revell 1/72 scale U-Boat hull can be easily discerned in these drawings. In fact the drawings are an excellent resource for repositioning the anchor housing and correctly re-locating and re-sizing the casing drainage holes (which I'm doing right now). There are quite a few interior drawings which are really of no use.

One thing that I found lacking in the book are photos. There's not a lot of them. I find that the Squadron In Action book to be a better source of photos on the Type VII. If you ask me, this isn't one of the better Anatomy Of The Ship books. I guess I was spoiled rotten by their H.M.S. Victory edition. But then again, many times we require two/three or four books on a subject to effectively cover all of the details we want.

For my money The Anatomy Of The Ship book on the Type VII was a good buy and will definately serve a purpose during my build.

Regards,

Randy
Randy Wise

Postby sam reichart » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:23 pm

go to www.amazon.de and look for "vom original zum modell uboottyp VIIc"

It's all in German, but it has good technical drawings, and move photos that the "anatomy of a ship" series. (I was disappointed in the photos in that book as well.)
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:46 pm

In addition to the VOZM book from Amazon.de that Sam mentioned, I would also suggest the book "Type VIIC U-boats" by Robert Stern. This should not be confused with the Squadron publication "U-boats in Action"...which I feel is not very good.

Next, I would look for a copy of Robert Miller's "U-Boats: The Illustrated History of the Raiders of the Deep". This book covers more than the Type VII, but there are a number of very good photos in it.

These two books are part of my 'core' library of good photo books.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Return to Static Modeler