Banner Ad 1

Revell 1/72 U-Boat Errata - Who's making the necessary changes...?

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby Randy Wise » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:28 am

G'Day Mates,

It's already been pointed out that the forward torpedo tube doors are 7mm too long and that the anchor recess is 6.5mm too far back in Revell's new U-Boat kit. Originally I wasn't going to do anything about it, but yesterday I took another look at the starboard hull half and the the anchor recess is spotted directly over the hydroplane fairing. Now it's really bugging me and I'll probably make the required alterations. Is anyone else going to move the anchor recess forward? If so, how will you replace the ultra fine rivet detail that Revell molded onto the hull.

Regards,

Randy
Randy Wise

Postby Casey Thrower » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:45 pm

Well, I'm not anal about a model 99% of the population wouldn't have a clue about anyway. I drilled out the limber holes and that's as far as I'll go as far as mods.
Casey Thrower SC Member #1675

"Oh Lord, Thy sea is so large and my boat is so small"
Casey Thrower

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:56 pm

Randy,

I hadn't seen that the tube doors and/or anchor well are slightly off....but I haven't had much time to really measure out the hull itself.

....but there are inaccuracies in the deck....... :) Particularly the way the slots are done in the various hatches.

Modifying the hull, to include the rivet detail, is probably not going to be easy. I would note that in this scale, the rivets are really, really small. The ones on this hull are just a bit oversized in terms of their thickness, but probably not enough to bother most folks.

The best way to replace these rivets would likely be with a paint mask, using the thickness of the paint to represent the rivets.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Return to Static Modeler