Banner Ad 1

Cure for a warp in my deck!

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby Scott T » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:03 am

Anyone who has built the Kilo 144 scale submarine by trumpeter or similiar plastic model, I need some help.
It seems the deck portion which is made from the water line up has a curve to it that does not match the lower hull portions.
If you had this problem how did you correct it?
Cutting, heating, sitting on it?
Any suggestions? :p Image
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby raalst » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:45 am

I tried weighting it and then pour boiling water. But it wasn't as controlled a change as I would like, because I burnt my fingers. So, you have to maybe find a slower, more secure way.

I still have a lerge gap to close, but I will do so by
glassing two bolts in the front and back in order to pull the
parts together (I have to be able to open the thing up because there is a WTC inside..)
If it is just a static model I would suggest cutting a few
circles from plastic, use these as ribs and superglue the
thing together while pressing all parts to the ribs.

Regards,
Ronald
Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:34 am

I was think of sawing a fine line throught the curved part of the upper hull piece, straightening, then filling the pie shaped gap. I haven't proceeded yet so if there are more ideas feel free to share.

So this brings up a question of what to use for gap filler on a plastic model? I read bondo for fiberglass but not sure that will do for plastic.
Is green squadron putty good? Is it waterproof??? :p
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby Robse » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:24 pm

Hi.

Having build a few glue-it-together aircraft in my time, I have also seen warped wings etc. The best solution for me was to put the plastic piece on a block of wood, and "force" it into shape, BUT also put smaller wooden sticks under it, exceding the "straigh-as-I-wan't-it" point. Then boiling hot water poured over it did the magic. The wings got within my demands, when removed from the wooden block, and the small sticks. It took a few tries to get it right, but it worked.

The sticks were needed, as stretching the wing to the correct point only, did not put enough mechanical stress on it to warp it back enough. Donno if it'l work on your sub as well, but... look at the bright side: If it fails, you got water for coffee.. :)
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Return to Static Modeler