Banner Ad 1

Skywave PitRoad USS VIRGINIA SSN774

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Skywave PitRoad USS VIRGINIA SSN774

Postby gp100man » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:05 pm

Please check out my request searching for a Skywave PitRoad 1/700 scale USS VIRGINIA SSN774 for sale in the SUB SWAP section of these general fourms.
I'm thinking that possibly some of the static model guys don't look at the sub swap section as much as this section(hope I'm wrong on that though). Anyhow I'm wanting to buy this kit, or
find a source where they are available. I got the OKB Grigorov 1/700 scale USS Virginia resin kit, it's alright, but it doesn't have any bow planes, or periscope
masts, nor any decals included; the PTK-03 Skywave kit does have these, and I'm more used to building styrene plastic kits anyhow. I checked the Ralph Ratcliffe
site, he doesn't sell an SSN774s either. You can email me at gp100man@yahoo.com if your a seller in the USA, UK, or Canada, and I will pay with a money order. Mention
the skywave kit in the title of the email, or it will get deleated.------------THANKS-------gp100man.
gp100man
SubCommittee Member

Re: Skywave PitRoad USS VIRGINIA SSN774

Postby Tom Dougherty » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:58 pm

Skywave/Pitroad kits can be tough to run down. They have a tendency to do a production run, and then close down production. This happened on quite a few of their 1/350 scale resin kits such as the USS Nautilus and USS Halibut kits.

The items you mentioned that were missing from the OKB Grigorov kit can be very easily scratchbuilt. Are you absolutely committed to 1/700 scale? The Chinese Hobby Boss kit of the Virginia in 1/350 scale is very good.
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby gp100man » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:17 am

Tom, thank you for your response. Yes, I agree with you that the Hobby Boss USS VIRGINIA SSN-774 in 1/350 kit is very nice, I have one built, and two more to go. My two main scales
I like are 1/700 and 1/350. I don't know why I like the small 1/700 scale so much, but I do. Over all I am used to styrene plastic, and I have never scratchbuilt anything before, so
it's about time I learn to do it. The selection in 1/700 (especially), and 1/350 is so vast, and their size is about right for display in most homes. 1/144 is getting abit large, but I
can deal with it. I would REALLY REALY like to see Hobby Boss produce for us the following:

1) 1/144 scale USS VIRGINIA SSN 774 CLASS SUBMARINE (their SEAWOLF and KILO are excellent).
2) 1/144 scale ISRAELI DOLPHIN CLASS SUBMARINE..
3) 1/144 scale LOS ANGELES FLIGHTS I,II, &III.
4) 1/350 scale LOS ANGELES CLASS FIGHTS I,II, &III(YA I have two of the RIICH flight IIIs en route as we speak, they've been shipped FEDEX).
5) 1/350 scale ISRAELI DOLPHIN CLASS SUBMARINE.
6) 1/700 scale VIRGINIA CLASS SUBMARINE.
7) 1/700 scale ISRAELI DOLPHIN CLASS SUBMARINE.
I don't wish a war..BUT....It would not shock me if in the very near future, an American SSN(Seawolf,LA,Virginia) and/or Israeli Dolphin class submarine gets into an under-the drink
SHOOTOUT-SUB-VS SUB with an Irainian Kilo or Ghadir or some other whacked out countries submarine. Or a submarine vs surface ship combat.
So far I think the Hobby Boss submarines are hard to beat, they're just great kits. But I also like the OKB Grigorov kits pretty well. IMHO-------------gp100man.
gp100man
SubCommittee Member

Postby gp100man » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:00 pm

Tom, I don't know if your interested or not, but over on freetime.com there are some of the Pitroad 1/350 scale resin submarine kits. You had mentioned in the above post about they can
be scarce at times. Tell Brandon Lowe at freetime.com that gp100man sent you if you buy some. Also, I have had nothing but excellent service at freetime.com-----gp100man
gp100man
SubCommittee Member

Return to Static Modeler