Banner Ad 1

Type XXI Conning Tower Retool

Matt Thor

Type XXI Conning Tower Retool

Postby Thor » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:54 pm

Some very sharp U-Boat fans(Skip Asay and Myles Yancey) picked up some minor errors in my Type XXI Conning tower. My goal is to continue to develop this kit as the last word on the Type XXI, so the tower is being slowly reworked to correct the inaccuracies.

First correction: There were no rivets on the Type XXI Conning tower. All of the removable panels had recessed fasteners. This was, of course, to cut down on parasitic drag underway. The rivets have been machine down to a flat disk to represent the recessed fasteners.

Second Correction: The cross braces and door handles are recessed into the doors and are not a positive relief. The door handles are now recessed, the cross braces are next...

The Snorkel Head is now complete as shown.

Thanks for the help, Skip and Myles!!! Your sharp eyes are very sincerely appreciated.

You can view the kit at:

http://www.precisionpattern.biz/subs/sub_xxi.htm

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Re: Type XXI Conning Tower Retool

Postby murraymcdonald » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:04 pm

That's very nice work. :D I already have one of Doug's Type XXI kits and would love to update it. Is there any chance of buying your retooled tower and the other parts to complete Doug's kit?

Cheers!
Murman
We have to believe in free will. We've got no choice.
murraymcdonald
SubCommittee Member

Re: Type XXI Conning Tower Retool

Postby Thor » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:24 pm

Sure! When it is all done an ready just drop me a note and I will get you outfitted. Thanks!
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Return to Precision Pattern