Banner Ad 1

New Option for submarine decks

Matt Thor

New Option for submarine decks

Postby Thor » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:40 pm

If you have a limited production boat, or a one-off boat that needs a highly detailed deck. We have a VERY affordable option for you that will provide astounding results. This provides a very cost effective alternative to the very expensive Photo etch work for a low production boat.

We can custom machine your deck for you with one of our CNC mills. We have the capability of machining the smallest details into the deck. If you have a drawing of the deck, or pictures and a general arrangement drawing, we can work with you to provide you a beautifully finished product. We can machine the deck for you out of 1/32" epoxy or polyester FRP sheet, thicker if you so desire. Attaching the deck to your boat is a snap with epoxy, and it will stay put.
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:20 pm

That all depends on the type of machine operation and the material being used. There are many different types of tools to use for different machining operations: End mills, Ball mills, Bull nose, drills, fly cutters, etc. A lot of deck detail does not require a full penentration machining operation. Much of it is scribed lines for hatches, lockers, etc. I can go down to TINY bits for very delicate detail, but great care must be used with them as they are very fragile...We use special end mills that have diameters as small as 1/64" for incredibly crisp detail.
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby RickNelson » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:36 pm

Hi Thor,

I haven't run the numbers yet but I plan on replacing the deck that comes with the Revell 1/72 Gato with a wooden (simulated wood) full length deck with the standard 2 inch by 1 1/2 inch battens (scaled down to .028" by .020"). To support the battens I plan on putting a lateral member underneath the battens at each frame position. Some frames are 30 inches on center (.420") and some are 24 inches on center (.333"). If I could get a rectangular deck I would cut it to fit in the superstructure. I would also modify it for all of the additional items that are on a Gato deck. Actually, I would want to have it built somewhat longer than what would be required for the deck as I would use the leftover decking in the fairwater.

This is just a rough idea of what I would like to have you consider if it's feasable. When I get a chance I'll come up with a detailed drawing with good dimensions. Let me know if you think this is at all doable and if you are at all interested in doing a deck like this. Otherwise, I would have to buy a lot of Evergreen plastic to do it with. But I will do it one way or another.

TIA
Rick Nelson

Qualified in Submarines 1965
SCM #2583

"D..n the pressure, Six-Zero feet!"
"Most men would rather die than think, Most of them do!" - Bertrand Russell
"Boomers hide with Pride"
RickNelson

Return to Precision Pattern