Banner Ad 1

Mystery Sub Revealed - Very cool... check it out!

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby Bob the Builder » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:22 pm

Some of you may remember me posting a few shots a while back of a massive German Type VII U-boat sitting on the side of the road somewhere down in Washington State. What it was and where it came from was a complete mystery...

... well at least some of the mystery has been solved, and the sub now has a new home!

Mr. Jason Milsom was a person that I met down at the Oregon SubRegatta a few weeks back, and he and I established a pretty good relationship. We got to talking about this "mystery submarine", and the thought of this work of art rotting on the side of the road was very disappointing. We decided to put forth more effort in locating and securing the sub.

That done, Jason did a ton of research and found the sub starting with clues that I'd gathered from my site and people writing in about the sub. I've got a lot more information on the Mystery Sub Page of my site. Feel free to take a look for more info and tons more photos.

Basically, the sub had been sitting for the last six years on the side of the road rotting. The locals had complained about the sub for many years, as it was deserted, abandoned, and vandalized over that time period. The county was most appreciative of having the sub removed, as it was 40 feet long and weighed in excess of 6000lbs. Permission from the Sheriff's Department and the County was given, and the sub was hauled off to Jason's yard, where it now has it's new home!

I took a trip out to visit Jason last weekend and take a look at this beast. It is quite a thing to behold.

What is it? As far as we've been able to determine, there's an excellent chance that this is one of the 1/5 scale studio models from the 2000 production of U-571! Several details give this away, the most indicative of which are the strange, slanted lines running at angles down from the fore and aft of the ballast tanks. Further examination of the movie's still shots have pointed to more evidence of this being the same sub as the movie.

There you go! A piece of submarine movie history, now waiting refurbishment in Washington.

Anybody with any ideas for a new home for it!?
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby DavieTait » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:18 pm

You could try getting in touch with the guys that are planning the movie of Don Meadows book "Of Ice and Steel". I know they're using scale models for this instead of CGI and this large scale model would be ideal for long shots at sea similar to the ones used in Das Boot.

I'd take it but i'm in the UK and couldn't afford the shipping container and i'd need a berth in a marina to keep it in lol.

Davie
DavieTait

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:34 pm

I notice also there is a hard point under the plane that looks like a padeye for towing by a hidden cable - similar to the way they animated "Bruce the Shark" in "Jaws".

...Too bad it's so danged big. Would make a nice parade float on a standard boat trailer!
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:35 am

So when is Dave working up a WTC-3 (3 feet that is) for this thing?

Need stock holdings in Propel for running that.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:57 am

Just posted some shots of Jason getting this beasty loaded up on the truck. I don't envy him that task... Took two days to move and a lot of hard labor.:

He took a good look in the bushes nearby for the conning tower and bow, but like I said, I'm sure that they now decorate someone's home as a coffee table and wall ornament respectively. Really too bad.
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Atomic Subs » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:36 pm

Hey Bob,

There is a new maritime museum here in Bellingham that might be able to set aside some indoor covered space to help with the restoration. With Lake Whatcom just a stone's throw away, the u-boat would have good water when she is ready for a swim.

Just throwing this out there.

Lyle
Lyle Jansma
www.atomicsubs.com
Atomic Subs

Postby SUBSHOP » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:20 pm

WOW!!! I WOULD MAKE MY POOL BIGGER JUST TO FLOAT THAT PUPPY!
Anyway, try contactng the prop dept. of the studio that produced U-571. they may have kept the bow and CT as props. Further, whoever was paid for disposing the rest of the hull may have his butt handed to him for just leaving this beauty on the side of the road. they were probaly paid to dispose of her and figured that no one would be the wiser, that is unless you are a SC person !!!
also studios and P.R. go hand in hand, they may release the bow and CT to avoid embarrassment or any legal hassles from the county. its worth a try. good luck.
neil s.
SUBSHOP

Postby robotz » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:40 pm

A friend of mine... (William Skinner) was a production designer for U-571... (see the extras on the DVD) I'd bet he would love to see this and perhaps if he ever finishes with Pirates of the Carribean- we can get him connected up with this...
I'll drop him a note and make his day... :-)
I'm an engineer! I can break that and have the tools to make it better.
robotz

Return to Television and Movie Submarines