Banner Ad 1

NAUTILUS DIVER preview - New Leagues suit near completion.

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby Captain Nemo » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:44 am

Except for a couple very minor details, the NAUTILUS DIVER PROJECT is finally complete. You can see a couple preview pics of the finished helmet on the VULCANIA SUBMARINE website:

http://www.vulcaniasubmarine.com

On the homepage, click the hyperlink for BUILDING THE NAUTILUS DIVER; then scroll down to the bottom of the page to the two pics marked NEW in red.

Or, use the following link:

http://www.vulcaniasubmarine.com/BUILDING%20THE%20NAUTILUS%20DIVER.htm

We'll be updating that page soon with more pics and info about how the project was developed; and of the completed system on display. Preparing a dive op for the near future where we'll have the NEMOSUIT and DIVER in the water together.

Next, we'll finish the refit of the NAUTILUS MINISUB, and with all three underwater together, we expect to get some interesting photos.

Pat Regan
VULCANIA SUBMARINE: Home of the Nautilus Minisub and 20,000 Leagues Diving Suits
Captain Nemo

Postby TMSmalley » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:48 am

Very cool Pat. Congratulations on a great project!
Tim
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby ray schwartz » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:55 pm

wow , that is a great looking diving helmet,
i use to use a miller 400 helmet and let me tell you
you will devolpe really big neck muscles from that .
i also dove a mark v helmet,lots of fun just dont try and walk up side down under the ice, with your feet against the ice .
the exhaust valve got stuck open and before they pulled me out i had water in there up to my nose.... ha ha
that helmet is truly a work of art..
ray schwartz
sc #2317
Louisiana
ray schwartz

Postby Carcharadon » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:20 pm

Great job Pat. Lots of work there.

I dove in a Mark V with the navy seals in Key West. Not a lot of fun.
Carcharadon

Postby Captain Nemo » Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:19 pm

Tom Said:

"I dove in a Mark V with the navy seals in Key West. Not a lot of fun."

Yeah, one thing about hardhat gear (at least from my perspective) is that it really makes one appreciate the freedom one experiences with SCUBA.

A LEAGUES rig weighs well over 200 pounds. Launching the diver is a lot like launching a small submarine: requires a crew every step of the way. The weight of the rig is oppressive on the diver when out of the water; but underwater it's about neutral, and it's kind of cool having your head encased in a dry environment with viewports: again, like a little submarine.

The replica LEAGUES rigs I build are as authentic to what Disney did back in 1954 as I can make them; but SCUBA came a long way since then, and one should never think these are "safe diving rigs" by modern standards. For one thing, if things go badly, the diver can't simply "free ascend" like a SCUBA diver can. To compensate, there are several safeguards built into the suit system, and others observed by our support crew. That way we provide ourselves with a safety margin we feel comfortable with.

Still, it's a lot of work diving something like this. We do it for the sake of recreating what Disney did for 20,000 LEAGUES, and that's where the enjoyment comes from. But if I just want to enjoy the underwater world, I'll go with regular SCUBA every time. Soooo much easier! :)

Pat
VULCANIA SUBMARINE: Home of the Nautilus Minisub and 20,000 Leagues Diving Suits
Captain Nemo

Return to Television and Movie Submarines