Banner Ad 1

FINALLY! I have pictures to share!

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby modelnut » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:58 am

As some might remember I am building a 72nd scale NAUTILUS a la Verne and Greg Sharpe. So far is proving to be a Sysiphian task. Always a snafu and setback! OI! :(

In the meantime, I am building a smaller version. More for practice and testing ideas. It is a kitbash in about 183 scale - about 2.5 times smaller than my eventual seventy-two!

Here is a link to the model so far: http://www.modeltsar.zoomshare.com/1.shtml/NAUTILUS

Still a little bit to do. Details to scratch in and then I can start painting! :O

-Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby Captain Nemo12 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:52 pm

Looking good! I like the way the ram is installed, how many blades does the propeller have? Guess I'm not the only 3 blader! :D By the way, if the website is yours, I'll be happy to add it on mine if you wish. :p Keep up the good work!
280 meters.... and she's still in one piece!
-Jurgen Prochnow, Das Boot.

http://eisernwolf.blog.com
Captain Nemo12

Postby Carcharadon » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:32 am

Looks cool, what color is it going to be? What about rivets? Static or dynamic diver? Now that we have pictures tell us more about the sub.
Carcharadon

Postby modelnut » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:03 pm

Thanks for the compliments, guys! Exactly what I was fishing for! :D

Sorry. This one won't dive at all. She is static. At 183rd scale she is only 18 inches long with a beam of 1.7 inches (45.7 X 4.3 cm.)

Though I am aiming for a nice sit-on-the-shelf model, this NAUTILUS is a study for my 72nd scale (one day...) R/C sub.

Everything is as near to Verne as I can make it. I measured the diameter of the X-1 at 4.3 cm and calculated the scale from Verne's 8-meter diameter. Then I measured the length of the kit and added a plug to bring it up to 70 meters (+38 cm.) For my design which I developed from years of studying Mike Crisafuli's website, http://home.att.net/~karen.crisafulli/nautilus.html , I took the 70 meters as the length of Nemo's tapering cylinder not counting the propeller, rudder or ram.

The propeller is four-bladed and as near to the book's 6-meter diameter as I could find, 3 cm.

The ram is above the centerline and should line up to the hole the NAUTILUS put in the SCOTIA's hull.

I still have to engrave the outline of the rudders and the three hatches, two on deck and one below for the divers, and various line and net lockers. Though at this scale the hatches etc might be better done as decals or painted details.
The rudder, though, should be engraved.

OOPS! Almost forgot! She needs an anchor or two! Haven't made up my mind how many or of what type. The mushroom anchor that modern subs use was developed at or a little before the time when Nemo would have built the NAUTILUS.

As for color? I am considering flat black (adjusting for scale) with tints of rust and brown. No rivets - even at 72nd scale they would be too small to be more than pencil marks! I have Dave Merriman's video on painting and superdetailing. But I will take my time and do it right!

OH! If you plumb the depths of Crisafuli's site you will see several different designs about the placement of the pilot house and Salon windows. I chose the place for my Salon and cut out a hole and puttied in a hunk of pipe to get it perfectly round. (5/8 inch diameter I think?) But the pilot house chose its own place. I took the nose wheelwell from the kit and stuck it in backwards. It protrudes to the perfect height!

Hopefully I can detail the stand to look like a sandy sea floor. I have a set of 1 cm figures that I can transform into divers. Possibly the funeral procession? We will see.

I will keep you posted!
-Leelan

P.S. Cap'n! Feel free to link my site to yours. I will return the favor!
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:51 pm

Some correction to my last post.

I remeasured my model and got the exact measurements. Here is what I got.

Length overall --------- 42.5 cm
Length of main hull ---- 37.5 cm
Diameter of hull -------- 4.2 cm
Diameter of propeller --- 3.0 cm

This gives me a scale of 186. So my NAUTILUS has an overall length of 79 meters or 259 feet. The main hull is still Jules Verne's 70 meters or 229 feet. My propeller only comes to 5.6 meters though not the book's 6.

-Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Return to Television and Movie Submarines