Banner Ad 1

Remember The Renwal Blueprint Models - Nautilus Models

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby Work Man » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:16 pm

:) Just a thought, and a wish, that some Model Manufacturing Co. could produce a 20K Nautilus
model, like the old Renwal Models, that opened up and exposed the whole interior in detail! This
would be nice in a scale somewhere in the range of 1/32, 1/48, or 1/72nd scales.
Work Man

Postby Bob the Builder » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:06 pm

If I'm not mistaken, Jim Key's kit (www.customreplicas.com)would probably be best for this. I believe that he has already commenced work on creating a detailed salon interior mockup, and he already has the wheelhouse done.

From there it would be fairly easy to flesh out the details of the map room, Nemo's cabin, the galley, and other major rooms of interest (provided you can make them all fit inside, as they were never meant to do).
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Captain Nemo » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:54 pm

Y'know, that really WOULD be cool. I have several of the old Renwal kits in my collection; all unbuilt. SSBN's like the ETHAN ALLEN. Some are split vertically, and the opaque hull opens up clam-shell style to reveal the interior. On others, one half of the hull is clear plastic. For a NAUTILUS, I suppose either way would be cool, but I think I'd lean towards one with a clear clamshell half-hull. I'd want it to be BIG, too. Guess the clear hull half could be vacuum formed.

There'd be a problem making everything line up inside, though. My understanding is that the interior layout Disney specified for the NAUTILUS as seen in the film doesn't actually line up right inside a scale outer hull. But what the heck? "Close" would be cool with me.

One of these days, after I retire from building subs and diving suits, I want to make a large scale model of the NAUTILUS MINISUB; maybe GI Joe size in 1:6 scale. Trailer and all. The outer hull will be split vertically, and open outwards to reveal the inner pressure hull; which will also be split and hinged to open, allowing a view of the interior workings of the sub.

So many models...so little time...

Pat
VULCANIA SUBMARINE: Home of the Nautilus Minisub and 20,000 Leagues Diving Suits
Captain Nemo

Postby Work Man » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:28 pm

:) Thanks, for input, I am glad that some one remembers those kits. Disney had a gold mine in this model and never did anything about it. If they would have got with a good model maker back then no one would be sending all this "E" mail on same subject. Tom
Work Man

Return to Television and Movie Submarines