Banner Ad 1

The Nautilus lives! - It has finally.... come to pass.

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby Bob the Builder » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:21 pm

I've got lots of pics of the model at the lake, but a bad stomach flu has laid me low and I won't be getting those downloaded until tomorrow... stay tuned.

In the meantime I thought I'd share some insights into the Nautilus' performance characteristics (or mine at least).

Firstly, my motor and prop combination works extremely well. Surfaced, I need to stay at about 1/3 throttle or the prop sucks air.

I've heard it before, and my tests proved it, even with the upturned side keels in the front, generous speed drives the nose of the model downwards gently. We shifted some ballast to the rear and tried it again, and surprisingly enough, even with stock rudders and dive planes, the Nautilus handles extremely well.

She's definitely no Formula 1 racer, but she's got a decent turn of speed, especially underwater where I can open up the throttle.

I've got a mystery air bubble that is getting caught in the wheelhouse that I still need to sort out, but it actually looks great as it suddenly finds itself free of the wheelhouse alligator eyes and produces a pair of streaming bubbles as she vents it.

That's about it for now. Look for pics and some .avi's to be posted on my website shortly.
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Novagator » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:03 pm

Bob,

have you considered selling a nautilus kit?
John Cottingham
Sub Committee Member #2721
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:12 am

Re the air bubble. How about making the small hatch at the rear of the wheelhouse work?

I've seen that technique work well for Seehund models.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:41 pm

Okay, here they are... some of the pics of the Nautilus during her maiden voyage:

This is the main beach at Thetis Lake. The water is crystal clear and has a sandy bottom with a few good sized rocks mixed in. In the rear of the pic you should be able to make out a concrete walkway that runs beside the water. This is excellent for training in submerged runs, as you can stand three feet from your model as it runs in five feet of water.

Here is the Nautilus just before heading out of the docks. Note my operational running lights around the salon and on the wheelhouse. They make for far easier tracking of the model while underwater.

Cruising the surface in search of her quarry...

Her first submerged run. After we tweaked her ballast distribution, she was far easier to handle while underwater.

I'll be taking her out again this weekend. I'll try to get some good video of her running and diving then.
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:52 pm

Bob -
As they say in the current vernacular... "Sweet."
Tim
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:28 pm

Bob,

Congratulations! A fine boat and fine reporting!
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thomcmdchief » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:35 am

Bob

Just beautifull! Just more incentive to get my 66" finished. Once it warms up here in South Bend, it'll be full speed ahead. An thanks for the rudder linkage pic's, perfect solution for me.

Thom
Thomcmdchief

Previous

Return to Television and Movie Submarines