Banner Ad 1

Need Help to Identify Movie Torpedo

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby rarmada » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:29 pm

I bougth two miniature torpedoes used in old submarine movies. This miniatures where adquired from the last Profile in History Hollywood Auction. They belived that the torpedoes were used in the T.V. series Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea in the 60´s. The problem is that the paint patern does not check with the images I have from the tv show (they were silver with red front, midle stripe and back).

The torpedos are 10.5 and 22 inches long. One of them has a bronze body color and silver nose cone. The bigger one is black with a bronze nose cone. You can see some pictures at:

http://uncleodiescollectibles.com/html_lib/voyage-props/00011.html

I am try to identify the movies they were used in. If any one has some info or idea please let me know.

Axel
rarmada

Postby Mkeatingss » Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:06 pm

The larger one looks like a Mk 14, the smaller one could be a Mk 14 of Mk 16. Theey could have been used in almost any naval movie using torpedo. They could even pass as Mk 18s if it was only a quick glance.
I don't suffer from ulcers, I'm a carrier.
Mkeatingss

Postby FX Models » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:44 am

Axel,

The torps may have been "fired" by one of the enemy subs in the VTTBOTS show. They are not Seaview torps but still may have been used.

Marc
FX Models

Postby Dolphin » Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:03 pm

These look cool! Oh gosh, movie stuff we know can be so generic, if their owner's expectation is scale accuracy. Also if they are from a fantasy film like VTTBOTS .....then accuracy, like caution is tossed into the wind!

To save money and production time, the 20th cent. prop department might have loaned these for use in the VTTBOTS motion picture (20th Cent Fox - 1961) from an earlier studio production, then the torpedo stock footage from the feature...continuing it's use in the TV show version. Remember it must be hectic producing a weekly TV show, so even half plausible stock footage available might save the production team some headache aspirin.

What other significant submarine films were made about that time before VTTBOTS ......late 50's early 60's? They could be German torpedoes (the black one shown?) from the 'Enemy Below' (20th Cent. Fox -1957) or 'Run Silent-Run Deep' (20th Cent. Fox -1959). The beautiful brass/silver torpedo miniature looks like a dead ringer (in my opinion only) for an American Mk. 14. If air powers them, then a MK. 14 would increase the likelihood. Mk. 18's were electric specifically so the air bubbles would not be seen, but remember 'Hollywood' is not looking for scale accuracy as it is for dramatic visual effect (the bubble wakes)....so from the studio's point of view....Mk 14 or Mk. 18?- what's the difference! Rent these cool sub pictures and see if your torpedoes are starring. My wild guess is that the black torpedo is originally from 'The Enemy Below', and the gorgeous silver and brass one is from 'Run Silent-Run Deep', then making cameo appearances in VTTBOTS. I have seen the effects sub model for 'Run Silent Run Deep' in a Oakland, California restaurant (same effects model used in 'Torpedo Run' too) which I guestimate this very 'rough' effects model was around 1/32 scale. Would there be any correlation between the scales? They don't need to be...just one more thread to explore.

Steve Reichmuth
skipjack@earthlink.net
Dolphin

Postby rarmada » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:59 pm

Thanks for the hint. I will take a close look at "The Enemy Below" and "Run Silent, Run Deep".

The two torpedoes were powered by compressed air filled by a Schrader valve. The small one had a hole that goes from the nose cone to the end of the propellers. This hole was used to guide the torpedo using a wire. The big one was made in a lathe in tree sections with an bronze air tank in the middle. I really was expecting a lot less care in their manufacturing. Maybe they are not accurate but sure they are beautiful.

Axel
rarmada

Return to Television and Movie Submarines