Banner Ad 1

New Goff Nautilus model available 36 inches - I designed it.

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby jleslie48 » Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:19 pm

Well I got too tired of waiting for a Nautilus model so I designed and produced one myself, and its big, 36 inches.

I am offering it for sale, $59.99 plus S&H as a kit:

http://jleslie48.sohounion.com/nautilus/index.html

it's designed directly from the Disney blueprints and comes
painted with images taken from the 11 foot movie prop.

- jon
jleslie48

Postby Work Man » Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:32 am

Jon, Got pictures, thank you. Want to ask how many parts in this kit and what material is being
used in it? Also kit looks to be very complicated, is this true? Thanks Tom :)
Work Man

Postby jleslie48 » Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:11 am

Work Man wrote:Jon, Got pictures, thank you. Want to ask how many parts in this kit and what material is being

Tom,

Good questions all around. lets try and answer:

1) a lot of parts. I never counted, but there are 36 shark teeth, with 2 parts each so that is 72 right there. the main hull is 8 sections, where several of them are broken up into 2 or three parts, lets call that 12 parts there. But remember, the technique for building is really quite simple, no parts are folded more than once and most of the parts are duplicates of other parts, so once you've got the idea, you've on your way.

2) Most of the material is 65lb cardstock paper, similiar to feel and thickness to to a business card. The formers on the inside may be a little thin at this thickness, and you may want to cut additional formers out of heavier cardboard for extra strength. The windows are printed on thinner 24lb paper, this allows them to glow if internal lighting is added. I also supply
plenty of extra shark teeth out of both the thin and thick paper.

3) It looks complicated, but only when you look at the model as a finished project. each step of the construction is rather simple, and each builds up on the previous step. Kinda like a complicated lego model. When the steps are broken down, each step is rather simple and joining them together is not too hard.

Look carefully at the step-by-step build photographs on the link at the website:
http://jleslie48.sohounion.com/nautilus/index.html
to me it looks a lot like a lego model, only you have to cut (using an exacto knife!!) and glue the tab (elmers glue!) rather than just a snap fit.

If you are nervous about how a part goes together here's the great part, photocopy it, do a test run on regular paper, and make sure it's to your liking/understanding.

Previous message:
Jon, Got pictures, thank you. Want to ask how many parts in this kit and what material is being
jleslie48

Postby Scott T » Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:46 pm

Have you considered selling a printable version of the Nautilus on CD such as the ships on digitalnavy.com ? ???
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby jleslie48 » Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:00 pm

Scott T wrote:Have you considered selling a printable version of the Nautilus on CD such as the ships on digitalnavy.com ? ???

I've considered it, but it means losing control of the distribution. Once in digital form, it will be freely swapped among the internet community.
jleslie48

Postby Wbnemo1 » Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:37 pm

John, again,a really neat model,but i noticed something you did probably by accident,your salon housing is upside down,should fit against the hull either way so not a big deal to correct, also it appears you sub is actually designed off of Tor Jensons drawings(bjorn's site)noting dorsal shape, not the Disney plans.....thoughts?
William
Wbnemo1

Postby jleslie48 » Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:26 pm

Wbnemo1 wrote:John, again,a really neat model,but i noticed something you did probably by accident,your salon housing is upside down,should fit against the hull either way so not a big deal to correct, also it appears you sub is actually designed off of Tor Jensons drawings(bjorn's site)noting dorsal shape, not the Disney plans.....thoughts?
William

I think your're right, the housing is upside down, but the salon windows are correct, and yes the piece is reversible. I put it together visually without reference, and I went with what I thought looked right.

I referenced any images I could find on the web including bjorn's site, so I may have been influenced I do not remember. I do remember using the old disneyworld ride as a reference quite a bit. anyway, here are some side by side:

they look pretty similiar to me.
jleslie48

Postby Wbnemo1 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:00 am

i especially like the fact it's out of paper card stock way cool
Another subcommittee member did a card stock version years ago,kinda lost touch with him when my server crashed again. his name is Tom Slawlik,I believe that's how his last name is spelled anyway.
One your pattern work, you may want to modify you scupper apron meeting pint with the base of the arch by triangulating it as oposed to squared off..up to you though,and lastly again if you 're interested, start with a overall length of 178 feet or 2136 inches and work scales from those numbers,you find that the 11 footer used for filming was exactly 1/16 scale at it's overall length of 133.5, lol it's a little bigger that 11 feet you see :),anyway great job of tackling one of the hardest to build scifi subjects out there,so how bout a card stock Proteus next :)
William
Wbnemo1

Return to Television and Movie Submarines