Banner Ad 1

Interesting Inconsistency - Nautilus

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Interesting Inconsistency - Nautilus

Postby Carcharadon » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:44 am

Links do not work
Last edited by Carcharadon on Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carcharadon

Postby Michael » Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:07 pm

I don't remember for sure, but I don't think Verne mentions rivets. He does say the hull plates overlap. The Hunley submarine and several of the Winans experimental iron-hulled vessels built about the same time that Verne was writing used countersunk rivet heads to reduce drag. These vessels also had hull plates butted together and riveted to internal rings to keep the hull smooth.
Michael

Postby Wbnemo1 » Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:00 am

Hi,
just a quick note: the curvature of the salon and main viewport domes is alot less convex than most realize even i learned something on this one...i believe that if these new curavatures are used you will find that the Nautilus will Steer straight and true once more :) 11 footer reference of course:)
William
Wbnemo1

Postby TK-7642 » Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:02 am

Very Interesting. I think that when the salon housings are made lto stick out into the water stream farther than the correct amount (like a paddle-wheeler almost on some!) they may cause turbulence for the prop, stabilizer and rudder causing yaw instability (as carachodon mentioned). I think this could cause the stabilizer (tail fin) and rudder to lose some effectiveness. Without this excessive (and innaccurate)drag it's more stable.
The center of gravity of the nautilus appears to be near the salon or slightly in front. The center of gravity is the "calmest" part of a boat or vehicle and this is where Goff (or Verne) chose to put the salon/museum with its delicate specimens and artwork (the bow or stern pivot around it alot like the back of a bus does). This may be important in the design (as was mentioned above by carachodon) since the salon housing's drag may act like the fins on a dart or a parachute even. If the C.G. in a dart is well ahead of the fins it's stable - but if the opposite is true it's unstable. With the correct C.G. the dorsal fin will then have a stabilizing effect when underwater also as it is behind the salon housings and thus the C.G. I am going to minimize this problem on mine by making my salon housings protrude slightly less than the 11 footer while making the observation windows slightly less convex as mentioned by Wbnemo. I also intend to round off my salon housing' s very sharp edges and make them more rounded like on the (blueprints and 11ft) to create less turbulence for the tail. These changes should make the rudder and tail fin more effective as the original designer intended.
TK-7642

Postby Carcharadon » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:43 am

Links do not work
Last edited by Carcharadon on Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carcharadon

Postby Bob the Builder » Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:07 am

Hydrodynamics aside, the Goff Nautilus is one cool submarine.

To put it in perspective, why would an RC model airplane builder choose a subject such as a WWI biplane, or the Wright brothers first aircraft when they could choose a modern Cessna or Beaver and get far superior performance characteristics? The answer, of course, is that it is the subject itself that gives them pleasure, and not how it performs in actuality.

Of course, a really fast Nautilus is what I REALLY want.... :D
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Return to Television and Movie Submarines