Banner Ad 1

Difficulty seeing your sub underwater?

Place for general submarine conversation

Difficulty seeing your sub underwater?

Postby greenman407 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:46 am

This is probably not new but I thought it might be worth a mention that we dont all have nice clear water to run in. I have found a couple of ponds that the water is pretty clean but if your sub is black it can blend in with the water in a hurry. I have found the hobby much more enjoyable if I can see my sub when running below periscope depth. The best time to do that is when the sun is shinning brightly and you have on a pair of polarized sunglasses. Im not talking about the $1.99 Walmart specials. :roll: Im talking about the decent ones for 20 or 30 dollars at least. I was amazed at the difference. To test it I went to the lake and using my old pair I looked down into the water and then I switched to the polarized ones. The difference was startling! It might be worth a try. If you dont want to buy a pair just to try it , borrow a pair from a friend. If it doesnt thrill you ,you can give it back. Keep in mind that this works best in bright sunlight. 8)
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Re: Difficulty seeing your sub underwater?

Postby Bob the Builder » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:27 am

Absolutely!

Another trick if you want to take photos of your boat is to hold your sunglasses in front of the lens when you take the photo. It makes a world of difference!
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:49 am

Interesting, dont you have a problem when focusing?
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:37 pm

:D I feel a story coming on! :) ..............Well , there I was, ripping along on the water in my 17 foot Rally Cruiser I/O, running at about 45 mph with the wind in my hair, dominating the waterways,all of the other boats fleeing in fear.Little did I realise that the Coast Guard , without telling anyone, had removed a channel marker that protected boaters from running aground. As soon as you go under the Pinellas Bayway bridge heading north at Fort Desoto Island you better be turning hard to port pretty quick. Well, you can probably guess what happened next. All of the sudden my Arrogance fled away as I could feel my ride running aground. I instinctively turned hard to port. Instinct told me that if I chopped the throttle I would come off plane and then my boat would settle deeper in the water making my predicament even worse. Well I made it part of the way thru the turn when all of the sudden I was almost thrown thru the windshield(exageration)by the rapid decelleration as my boat bogged down on a sandbar. As I looked around my first impulse was to determine if I was being laughed at! Since I could spot no laughers in visual range and seeing that I was stuck fast until high tide(didnt want to wait that long, someone might spot me)I picked up the cell phone and called up Vessal Assist(tow truck/boat). :cry: The moral of the story?: Dont put to Sea without your polarized lenses in place so that you can see the aproaching sandbars..............The End.
Last edited by greenman407 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
greenman407

Postby tabledancer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Instead of messing around with sunglasses in front of the camera,why not just put a polarizing filter on the camera.

TD :wink:
Don`t forget,its going to be dark tonite.
tabledancer

Postby greenman407 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:41 am

Naw , thatadbe too easy. :oops:
greenman407

Postby tabledancer » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:49 pm

Please excuse me,I forgot we" MUST" complicate things!!!!!!!!!!

TD :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don`t forget,its going to be dark tonite.
tabledancer

Postby greenman407 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:05 pm

I called Ritz camera to inquire about a universal polarized filter for my camera and he said that they dont make them for point and shoot digital cameras. They are made for cameras that you can see thru the lens so that you can make an adjustment for the amount of polarization that you want. Makes sense. :|
greenman407

Return to General