Banner Ad 1

Hansen Dam fun

Place for general submarine conversation

Hansen Dam fun

Postby SteveNeill » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:41 pm

Jeff and I at long last got together today and headed to Hansen Dam to run the big VIIC and his Small Worlds Blue Back. The weather was great but the lake had a lot of algae unfortunately and the water level was a bit low for diving the VIIC. But we had a great time anyway.

The VIIC ran like a top. Jeff's Blue Back was flawless and such an excellent running boat. Not to mention how well it's finished off and painted.

Now we are searching for a local pool to rent once a month like the 8 Balls to tun our boats and get a few more members from the local area involved. And LA Subron if you will. If that sound good to you chime in!

It's was only two of us today but it was a good start and two great boats. Now where are the rest of you?? ;)

Here's some pictures and I'm sure Jeff will post some of his too.

Thanks Jeff for coming out this way and having a great day at the lake.

Steve

SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Re: Hansen Dam fun

Postby JefftyToo » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:19 am

Boy, who is that old, gray-haired guy in your above pix, Steve? Can't be me, though he does look kinda like that guy I see in the mirror every morning....

Yeah, I had a great time too, and it definitely took us too long to finally meet and get some boats in the brine. I can certainly see how Hansen Dam has great running potential if the water is usually better than what I encountered this p.m.

For those of you keeping score, Steve's big new 30th Parallel Type VII, the one whose build is detailed in the latest SCR, did well on her trial runs today. At first a little stern heavy, removing some lead aft pretty quickly took care of the problem. She looked menacing out on the water and performed impressively, though she did go through battery juice faster than Steve would've liked. He's looking into that glitch and may switch out the power supply he's currently using for something more robust.

And Blueback? Well, in typical fashion I had her PERFECTLY trimmed in buddy Neil Schmidt's lap pool last weekend to prepare for today's run -- and then this afternoon she was decidedly nose heavy and sluggish. Just being her same old unpredictable self, in other words. At least her latest refit's paint job was looking good. Lots of scum line -- which really helped in today's murky seas.

What follows are some of my shots from the run. Many thanks Steve, I had a fun day too, and we'll do it again sometime. As Steve says, who wants to join us next time?

Jeff Porteous

Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:09 pm

Looks like you had a great time running the boats. It's good to see Steve's Type VII finally take to the water.....bet you really enjoyed that!

-Jeff
Last edited by JWLaRue on Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling error!
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:21 pm

Looking great guys! The perfect nucleus of SubRonLA... :D
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:56 pm

Did you mean dam fun, or damn fun?

The boats look great. What a fun size that Type VII is. The thing looks so dam real that size to the waves, especially with nothing else in the picture.
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:13 pm

Thanks guys. Pete I need to find a 1/32 crew to add to the realism. Jeff? Where? I know you must have an idea. I'll get that brass deck from you pretty soon too. ;)

Paul we are working on it.

Jeff Thanks for the new pictures!

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:25 pm

Steve,
My son collects 1/32 WWII military models and soldiers from Forces of Valor. 21st Century is another brand. Bad Cat toys is a good source. You may be able to find a set of them and repaint them as Kriegsmarine.
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:16 pm

Thanks Pete I'll look into that.

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:43 pm

Steve,

Let me check my parts box...I may have a couple of 1/32nd scale U-boat crew figures that I can send to you.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:47 pm

Wow! Thanks Jeff. Got my fingers crossed!

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:55 pm

to: FdU West
subj: U-boote crewmembers

Herr Kapitän,

Two U-boote crewmembers from headquarters staff are being transferred to your command in order to ensure your recently commissioned U-boote is properly manned. Please acknowledge receipt upon arrival.

-/s/ BdU
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:16 pm

Um der Flottenchef. Ich schätze und freue mich schon auf die U-Boote Besatzungsmitglieder. Ich werde nach Erhalt zu bestätigen. Danke, Captain des U812
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:54 pm

Here's some video of the boat at the lake that Jeff Porteous shot. I never did get a dive that day as the lake was dark where deep enough and too shallow where I could still see her. Hopefully I'll find that local large public pool soon.

Here's the pool trials where I do dive her for those that might have missed it and the lake itself.

Steve

SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:54 pm

SteveNeill wrote:Um der Flottenchef. Ich schätze und freue mich schon auf die U-Boote Besatzungsmitglieder. Ich werde nach Erhalt zu bestätigen. Danke, Captain des U812

Sie sind sehr willkommen.
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Return to General