Banner Ad 1

New to Submarines.

Place for general submarine conversation

New to Submarines.

Postby tompinnell » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:26 pm

Hi, I was informed of this website from someone on RC Universe. Im looking to get a submarine in the near future, but would like a bit of help in what to go for. I've been building boats for sometime and have good knowledge of RC electronics. Im looking for something which is a bit of a challenge to build, and that I wont be replacing in the near future. I live in the Gloucestershire area and if there is anyone who lives near by that can show me there submarine and how it works I would be very grateful. I've been offered a Engel U177 at a good price with the TMAX control system but have been told this is a bit complicated. Any help is much appreciated as I can see this is not a cheap hobby to get into.

Thank you very much

Tom
tompinnell
SubCommittee Member

Re: New to Submarines.

Postby Sub culture » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:39 pm

Ramesh (Wheelerdealer) is the Engel expert here. Take a look at the Dive-in's I organise at Brockwell Lido in London. I realise it's a bit of a drive, but you will see quite a few boats there, including Engel subs, and get to have a go and really see what the hobby is all about.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9953

Also please PM me your email address, and I can keep you posted about future events.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wheelerdealer » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:29 pm

TMax is the one to go for if money isn't an issue. Its really complicated at all. In full wack you need 3 channels to fully control the ballast system you you will need an 8Channel radio as a minimum. However, you have the choice of running the system with 1, or the full 3 channels. In 1 channel mode it operates essentially the sameway as the TAE system.
It shouldn't be more than 2hours to Brockwell on a Sunday, and you will be able to see atleast 1 TMAx boat there...
Ramesh
www.rcmodelsubmarines.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------
Whaddya mean, I need a license to do that?!
Wheelerdealer
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:58 pm

My personal preference is to not use the TMAX and instead go with one of the aftermarket piston tank controllers. You'll only need one channel per piston and you will get full control over the entire volume of the piston.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:14 am

If a Type IX is what you want, then go for it.

The older Engel kits like the Type IX are not, in my opinion, as elegant in design as the later boats like the Lafayette, Type VII and soon to be released Type 212 with their cylindrical pressure hulls, bayonet ring looking system and CNC routed tech racks. However they do build into sturdy dependable models and their owners tend to be happy campers.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Return to General