I have checked and :
- nobody can email using the board right now (as far as I know). I cannot recall it was possible in the past either.
- enabling this means we will attract more spammers wanting to pillage these email adresses, or use the forum to send spam
- hence, it means more work for me, not only to make it so and apply all the patches trying to prevent ill effects up front,
but also permanently, as in policing, removing the spammers and quite possible restoring the database to get rid of their mess.
- I'm not willing to put in that extra time. Only if someone else takes over making the backup and the administration of
new users would I consider it, If it is worthwhile to the club.
- apart from that attracting more spammers still looks like a bad idea to me. would everybody agree with the fact that their email adresses
are handed out to fellow forum users ? Please note I am talking about forum users, not paid members. limiting these rights to paid members only
is even more (programming) work, making the forum a once-off and extra hard to maintain in the future..
- I fail to understand what emailing would offer the user extra in comparison to the PM system. Tell me (here or in a pm
btw, the fact that you have received a PM is emailed, so the reaction time should be about the same.
- as far as I am concerned Canada and US are the same distance from my doorstep : 3000 miles. so I tend to
make no distinction, because I lack the eyesight for it nowadays....
If I have overlooked some advantage of being able to email people then by all means let me know.
<edit> It just crossed my mind that email adresses are in the directory, which is/was mailed every year