Banner Ad 1

Type VII plans - Looking for Type VIIa/b/c  plans

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby 100-1047919599 » Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:00 pm

Hello,
I am looking for drawings, plans, Archaetectural renderings, layout of interior fittings and deck space, compartments.etc of Type VIIa/b/c u-boats. What would be coolest is a file in autocad- r14 format, but any graphic format (.tiff, .jpg, vector, illustrator, freehand etc would do)
If anyone has paper plans, I would be willing to cover the cost of reproduction and shipping.
If anyone can aim me at places where such might be found, I would be very greatful.
Christopher Wright
(former) U.S.M.C.
http://www.kabutographics.com
kabuto@cboss.com
100-1047919599

Postby dietzer » Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:52 pm

date yukiie wrote:Hello,
I am looking for drawings, plans, Archaetectural renderings, layout of interior fittings and deck space, compartments.etc of Type VIIa/b/c u-boats. What would be coolest is a file in autocad- r14 format, but any graphic format (.tiff, .jpg, vector, illustrator, freehand etc would do)
If anyone has paper plans, I would be willing to cover the cost of reproduction and shipping.
If anyone can aim me at places where such might be found, I would be very greatful.
Christopher Wright

Christopher,

I can't help you with German sources, but here in the US, The Floating Drydock sells Type VII and Type IX U-boat plans (www.floatingdrydock.com). I've never bought their U-boat plans, but their US ship and sub plans are very good.

Also, an outfit called the Drunken Sailor's Bazaar (I'm not making it up!) sells U-boat plans (with German text) on ebay. I just won an auction for his Type XXI plans and haven't received them yet, so I can't vouch for their accuracy. But here are links of his current auctions of Type VII plans:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....5874076
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....5874535
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....5874192

I'm sure some of the other members know how to get great plans from Germany, but this is the best I can do. :D

Also, if you can find a copy of "The Type VII U-Boat" of the 'Anatomy of the Ship' series, I would get it. It's a great reference book.

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Postby uboatjerry » Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:21 am

Hi Christopher;

The best set of plans that I have found for the Type-VIIC and Type- VIIc/41 is as follows:
(1.) Unterseeboot U-995 Type-VIIC, scale 1:40, 4 sheets from Taubman Plans Service International, 11 College Drive #4G. Jersey City, New Jersey 07305 U.S.A. phone: (201) 435-5205. (Note: this is a
Type-VIIc/41).
(2.) Planrolle: Uboottyp VII C, ISBN 3-7637-6003-2 and its
companion book “Vom Original zum Modell: Uboottyp VII C, ISBN 3-7637-6002-4 written in German. These are factory drawings in different scales from 15:1 to 100:1 10ea. 33 1/4" X 23 3/4" Sheets.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
Jerry Pope
DeSoto, Georgia :D
"Every man dies, not every man really lives." Braveheart
uboatjerry

Postby 100-1047919599 » Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:19 am

Thanks gentlemen,
Good stuff -
I have looked at some of this info, and the german plans do not scare me, as I remember and read enough of the language to be useful.
Here is another question of a related nature - I know that different shipyards cut different shaped free water holes in the outer hull on type VII's. Were these standardized per shipyard, or did it depend on the boat?
I am an avid military modeler, but am just starting to move on my long time fascination with Type VII's. My goal is to do a largish scale model with cut/away interiors, as detailed as possible. I have the stuff to add lighting where possible, so hopefully it will be a centerpiece. I am in the information gathering stage.
If these are questions that have been asked before, I appologise.
While not a Type VII, if anybody wants them, I can get detailed pics of the U.S.S.Requin, display docked in Pittsburgh, PA. The interior is open to the public, and I have been aboard her many times. As a veteran, the folks taking care of her have shown me great favor and let me climb and play...
Christopher
Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave
kabuto@cboss.com :p
100-1047919599

Postby JWLaRue » Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:49 pm

Hi Christopher,

To a large extent, each yard did have a recognizably different flood hole arrangement. One area that I have found to be most obvious is the series of small flood holes located around the underside of the forward part of the hull....forward of the keel.

-Jeff

p.s. just a minor note - in the past I have purchased some of the plans being sold by the 'drunken sailor' and all were photocopies of the Fritz Kohl plans.
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby 100-1047919599 » Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:02 pm

Gentlemen,
I just picked up the squadron/signal publications book "U-boats in action". I have been familiar with this series, and know its limitations, but there is some good info there. I see what you mean about the free-flood holes, and am starting to recognise the patterns. I found it interesting that the .88 deck gun was a purely naval creation, and did not share design and amunition with its land based bretheren. Anyone know what the dif/s were, other than housings? I know the ammo used to be different (my M.O.S. with the Marine Corps during the first Gulf War was E.O.D. and ammo ) so this would be especially interesting to me. I am guessing the casing length/profile was different, like US 9mm ammo and AK 47 ammo is currently. Were the gun mechanisms different from the land based critter? There were dual sights on the naval .88, which the land based .88 did not have, and there was a fair amount of plating for hydrodynamics, and padding in dual places for gunners and loaders, but was there anything else different?
Since I started this thread here, I will continue it till someone suggests I move it elsewhere.
Thank you all for your insight and help.
Christopher
(former) U.S.M.C.
Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave
kabuto@cboss.com
100-1047919599

Return to General