Banner Ad 1

Will casting resins adhere to polystyrene?

Place for general submarine conversation

Will casting resins adhere to polystyrene?

Postby Mermaid » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:24 pm

:?: I'm wondering if I can cast resin WTC bulkheads inside a styrene hull. I'm planning to build the WTCs directly into my 1/72 Gato. I've considered using heavy styrene or acrylic sheet but trimming these materials to accurately fit the internal hull contours will be problematic. I had the idea of installing two thin sheet styrene bulkheads separated by about 3/16". I could then pour resin into the space so created. Would the resin adhere to the styrene structure? Which type of resin (epoxy or polyurethane) would be best? :?
Mermaid
SubCommittee Member

Location: 613-1200 Talwood Court, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada. K9J 7X3

Postby Chuck Chesney » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:33 pm

I can't speak to the adhesive question, but watch out for the heat that is generated by the chemical reaction when epoxies and resins are used. Could distort the styrene.
Chuck

"The Japanese solders would die for the Emperor, which made them formidable. The U.S. Marines would die for each other, which made them invinceable"...Iwo Jima
Chuck Chesney

Postby PaulC » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:54 pm

Chuck's right. Don't pour into the hull.

If were going to go to the trouble to make two thin sheet styrene bulkeads for the pour, just make one out of cardboard and use it as a template to create thick walled styrene bulkheads to install in the boat.

However, I think you'll have much less trouble in the long run by installing an acrylic cylinder as in the other build threads.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Chuck Chesney » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:49 pm

I suspect that Paul is right on target...a cylinder type WTC will probably end up being the most simple, reliable way to go. The trap that you want to avoid is like the old tale of asking a guy the time, and he tells you how to build a watch. Keep it simple and workable. Since this is your first sub, there will be lots of challenges just getting the thing to run and dive. No sense in getting so exotic that the whole thing just gets to be more trouble than it's worth.
You can build your own Lexan WTC with a couple of endcaps annd seals from a place like Mikes Subworks, and tubes and parts from McMaster-Carr. You will have lots of ways to use your creative talents in a very productive way as you build your boat.
Chuck

"The Japanese solders would die for the Emperor, which made them formidable. The U.S. Marines would die for each other, which made them invinceable"...Iwo Jima
Chuck Chesney

Return to General