Banner Ad 1

New modler looking for good Kit - same as above

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby Ahab » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:20 pm

I'm looking for a good kit to start with. I'm going to be joining the sub committee next week when my next paycheck comes in. And I'm joining my local chapter in Ontario canada at the same time. But for now I'm just curious as to what is out there. And what do you guys (experienced modlers) think is the best WWII Sub kit out there?
Ahab

Postby Sub culture » Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:25 pm

Hi,

Welcome aboard!

It helps if you can give a little more info.

Your budget.
Type of vessel you are looking for, i.e. diesel/electric or nuke, size/scale, military, civilian etc.

Dynamic or static diver, if static....

Type of ballast system- water pump, gas(propel, compressed air.

etc.

Are you prepared to order from overseas or do you want to stay within the US?

IMHO the best WWII kit out there at present is OTW's Type VII.

Quality doesn't come cheap though.

Regards

Andy

Edited By Sub culture on 1063135940
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JeffG » Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:33 pm

Skip Assay at SubTech has two excellent beginner kits. I started with the Albacore. I have seen his new Marlin kit running and I think it handles better in the water. Both subs use the same running system. Just follow the instructions exactly and it works.

JG
JeffG

Postby Ahab » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:05 am

I'm looking for WWII kit. I'd like to steer away from a U-boat design, but if I must get one I will. I want one with a ballist system. As for pump or air, which ever is cheaper. And is less likely to break down on me while I'm submerged. As for budget. Well that's another mater. I'm a newly wed. And I just bought a house. My wife is not pleased with the idea of me spending money on yet "ANOTHER OF YOUR HOBBIES." So I have to save money from my own spending money. Pluss I live in Canada. So depending on what time of day it is or the weather or how the stars are aligned my dollar does not match yours. So I'd say 650 canadian. that's roughly 500 american. Well I got to get to work. I'm already late. Any help will be appreciated.
Ahab

Postby Novagator » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:33 pm

Well 650 canadian rules out the Engels.
John Cottingham
Sub Committee Member #2721
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Postby Carter » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:19 am

Glad I ain't married. :p
Carter

Postby Sub culture » Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:17 pm

Ahab wrote:I'm looking for WWII kit. I'd like to steer away from a U-boat design, but if I must get one I will. I want one with a ballist system. As for pump or air, which ever is cheaper. And is less likely to break down on me while I'm submerged. As for budget. Well that's another mater. I'm a newly wed. And I just bought a house. My wife is not pleased with the idea of me spending money on yet "ANOTHER OF YOUR HOBBIES." So I have to save money from my own spending money. Pluss I live in Canada. So depending on what time of day it is or the weather or how the stars are aligned my dollar does not match yours. So I'd say 650 canadian. that's roughly 500 american. Well I got to get to work. I'm already late. Any help will be appreciated.

Hmmm, I have the luxury of being a bachelor, so I only have to answer to the bank manager! lol

Then again a submarine won't keep you warm at night! ;)

You state that you are looking for a WWII kit, but not a U-boat!! From that, can I deduce that you are not looking for a German boat i.e. a Type VII?

At your budget, your choice will be limited a little I'm afraid (does that budget include radio and charger too). Submarines in Kit form are expensive, especially so when you factor in ready built ballast systems.

As already mentioned, you may want to take a look at Skip Asay's boats, they function well and his new Marlin kit may just fit the bill.

They're also a good size, being small enough to transport easily but big enough to look impressive in the water.

OTW's range is superb, but well outside of your budget.

Sheerline do a nice range of models, but once again, a bit too expensive, methinks! Plus they mostly model nuclear powered submarines (they produce a Type VII), not what you're looking for.

Norbert Bruggen has a couple of dynamic diving boats that will come in on budget (his Delphin is a little beauty), but those boats may not be what you are looking for.

http://modelluboot.de/

Metcalf mouldings do a nice range of boats. Exclusively boats from WWII, these were formerly produced by John Darnell.

They're very popular, and widely used here in the UK, but are less well known in the US. These will require you to do a bit more work than say one of Skip 's or Sheerlines boats, but it isn't beyond a decent modeller.

http://www.metcalf-mouldings.com/

Of all the ballast systems out there, the cheapest and simplest is the water pump system, either pumping into a sealed or vented tank. The gas system is fairly cheap too, but requires the constant purchase of pressurised gas canisters, and doesn't have the advatage of a built in failsafe.
Piston tank and compressed air systems tend to work out the most expensive, unless you DIY.

This is because they require more custom fabrication and/or electronics to make them work.

All the various systems have their plus and minuses. No system is 100% failsafe, but the vast majority of sub vendors sell reliable kit, so you haven't too much to worry about.

It's a good idea to get someone to check your boat over before you test dive it- join a club (like this one!).

Also, as money is tight, you may want to consider purchasing Secondhand. You can make some big savings this way, especially on an abandoned project- these are often more tricky to sell on!

Just be careful who you purchase off!

Also consider starting out with a dynamic diver, then converting it into a static diver when funds allow.

An old saying here in England, half a loaf of bread is better than none.

Cheers

Andy

Edited By Sub culture on 1063740087
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:54 pm

>>> I'm looking for WWII kit. I'd like to steer away from a U-boat design, but if I must get one I will.

Can you elaborate what it is about a U-boat you wish to steer away from? Is it the fact that its a U-boat...or perhaps something about the characteristics of the general class?

The more that you are wlling to construct yourself, the better you can hold the line on the total cost. Would you be willing to buy a 'bare' hull and build most of the WTC yourself? This could get you close to a Scale Shipyard Gato/Balo. I *think* this hull sells for around $300. That would leave you around $125 for a basic r/c unit, plus enough left over to buld the WTC.

-hope this helps,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ahab » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:42 pm

That 450 price is flexible and that is for the Kit. That is my starting range.
Ahab

Return to General