Banner Ad 1

Question about Seawolf SSN-21

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby FX Models » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:44 pm

My direct experience with sonar domes is that they are a purplish black. Nearly black but with a definite purple cast. I stood inside of one on the pier during a commissioning ceremony and in a few trips to the pier in recent months/weeks, all of the sonar domes I have ever seen are unpainted fiberglass purple-black. The sable brown that Jim talks about is a weathered appearance and might be what the dome looks like BELOW the water, but I can say after seeing 10-15 of them and one unattached to a boat that they appear to me to be the color I have mentioned.

Also, all US submarines have had their paint schemes restated. They are now painted all black or will be after their next drydock appearance. Makes it a lot simpler, more cost effective, and is a direct result of the technologies used to silence them.

I guess that will raise a few eyebrows...

Marc
FX Models

Postby Seawolf » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:55 pm

Marc, thanks for brought this one up :)
so in future or near future, no more red hull for lower hull ? and no more dark gray for water line to center line ?

or black will still dominating upper hull from waterline, and the dark or almost dark gray will be used from waterline to the bottom of the hull ?

(man, I really envy u guys :) - I didn't even have been close to the real subs that operate in my country).
Fiat - Jakarta (Indonesia)
sshhh.... rig ship for ultra silent..........
Seawolf

Postby FX Models » Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:17 pm

Seawolf wrote:Marc, thanks for brought this one up :)
so in future or near future, no more red hull for lower hull ? and no more dark gray for water line to center line ?

or black will still dominating upper hull from waterline, and the dark or almost dark gray will be used from waterline to the bottom of the hull ?

(man, I really envy u guys :) - I didn't even have been close to the real subs that operate in my country).

Right, the submarines are actually now just simply... black. No stripes, no anti-foul red, no nothing. Just plain ole basic black.... er... with draft markings and purplish black sonar domes... :D

There are situations where a boat is painted differently, and different boats will be painted in different ways. As far as the SSBNs were concerned, they are colored with the 'pretty paint' scheme used at launchings and so forth. Here is an image of the USS Rhode Island for example that I shot at the launch ceremony:

For THOSE the submarine was painted with a bright red waterline banner all the way around but that is not the final intended color scheme and as you can see, does NOT go far below the water's surface.

Anyway these are just my observations and opinions.

M
FX Models

Postby Seawolf » Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:25 am

Is it possible that some 'pretty' color only used for ceremony purpose ?

I once seen a pic about Kursk (Oscar Class), it is painted with red lower hull, but looking at the pic after it is being recovered from the sea (after incident) the lower hull is painted with very light gray ?

any idea weather US subs also being treated like this ? (different paint scheme on ceremony and when she is on operational status ?)

btw, nice pic Marc
Seawolf

Postby JWLaRue » Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:56 pm

)FX Models / Marc said:

The sable brown that Jim talks about is a weathered appearance and might be what the dome looks like BELOW the water, but I can say after seeing 10-15 of them and one unattached to a boat that they appear to me to be the color I have mentioned.

I can verify the observation posted by Jim Butt since I was on the Seawolf at the same time he was. That sonar dome, both above and below water, of an in service Seawolf is definitely a sable brown (I like Hershey's chocolate myself :D ) We both have pictures that show it too!

With a black/dark purple color at the time of launch, I can easily see that the effects of sun and sea would in effect bleach the original color to a sable brown.....

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Seawolf » Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:35 am

wow :D - now, I'm getting confused :)
not about the fact, but about the model that I wanted to paint LOL, I thinks it is time to decide how 'real the look of my model' should look like :laugh:

uhm, Jeff - about the pic showing the sable brown part, can I see it ? (just curious though) - thanks
rgd
Fiat
Seawolf

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:09 pm

Hi Fiat,

...not a problem. As soon as Jim or I can find and scan a photo in, we'll get one posted.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Seawolf » Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:30 pm

Jeff, I'll wait for it :)

guys, btw - what do you think of the color applied here ?

Seawolf

Postby FX Models » Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:45 pm

Jeff...

Regarding the sable brown... Now that I have gone and said all that I have, I too now DO recall a different color on the 22 boat dome. I dug out some recent photos of the boat I took and examined them again. The sonar dome definitely is a FLAT toned non-anechoic material based color that appears brownish. All of my 688 and 688i shots show the purplish dome.

I hate it when Im stupid!

Marc
FX Models

Postby Seawolf » Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:56 pm

Ok, now we are back to the sable brown then ? ???
Seawolf

Postby ThorDesign » Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:29 pm

I have stood right on the bow of SSN21 on 2 seperate occasions and it is sable brown.
ThorDesign

Postby Seawolf » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:19 pm

Matt, thanks for the re-confirm of the color.
Guys, all of you thanks for the conversation and discussion, really appreciate it.

Currently my model is in a 'sand-ing' step, soon, after scribbing a few detail I'll move to base painting :)
Seawolf

Postby Seahawk » Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:04 pm

Hello, I just got the Thor Design Seawolf kit a couple weeks ago and was wondering if there is a good site to figure out which spots are hull openings and should be drilled out. Thanks.
SubCommittee #2508
Seahawk

Postby Novagator » Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:33 pm

Seahawk wrote:Hello, I just got the Thor Design Seawolf kit a couple weeks ago and was wondering if there is a good site to figure out which spots are hull openings and should be drilled out. Thanks.

Got any pics of your thordesign seawolf kit you can post?
John Cottingham
Sub Committee Member #2721
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Postby ThorDesign » Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:40 pm

I just finished an update to the kit drawings showing the vents and drains to be opened. I will send one off to you.

:)

Edited By ThorDesign on 1062456034
ThorDesign

PreviousNext

Return to General