Banner Ad 1

Russian Begula - mystery submarine information

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby Wayne Frey » Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:53 am

Everyone by now knows my interests are in the russian boats.Lately,I have been thinking about that project#1710 Begula,and realized I have not seen a topic on her.
Apparently,it was a one-off boat for experimental purposes.
When looking through the new link posted this week,I found it again.This time the boat is shown in drawings with a conventional propellor,and a counter-rotating setup,like the Albacore.There seem to be only three or four pictures out there,and a short(10-15 second)video of it.That is about it.In a previous Report issue,there was an article about making one from a skipjack hull.That came out really nice.
I find it hard to belive they built one boat just to test a rumored polymer idea on the hull.
There was also a website somewhere I came across that had a download on it,but you had to pay to do so.
Does anybody have that download already and would be willing to copy it and send it to me?
What information is out there in the ranks amongst us?
Wayne
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:09 am

I know Greg Sharpe just finished an excellent replica of the Beluga. It's in this picture if you look closely at the workbench:

If you give him a shout at deepseadesigns@telus.net he may be able to help you out.

For anyone else, Greg will soon have a comprehensive website showing all of his blueprints and plans for nuclear submarines of the US and Russian navies, as well as plans for WTC's and watertight transmitter cases...
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:46 pm

Wow!
Cool shop! There is an Akula on the shelf in the back with something on it's back.What is that all about??Varient I do not know about?
Is that hull the one that was in the Report a while back based on a skipjack hull?Or is there a mold out there somewhere?
I tried to e-mail Greg,but his box is full.
Does anyone else know about this boat??
I am always looking for hard to get stuff on the newer boats.
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:14 pm

I believe that's Greg's take on a Russian "Seaviewski". It was featured in one of Ray Mason's earlier SubCommittee Report videos.
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:44 pm

Yup... Tim's right. That light grey sub is Greg's "Russian Seaview". A very nice sub based on the Alfa hull. He added the Seaview missile deck and forward flares, and modified the aft section to resemble the Seaview as well. There's also a small "Flying Sub" of his own design that he has docked on the dorsal surface just in front of the tail fins.

His shop includes no less than 8 RC subs, some "targets", a mostly complete one-man SCUBA submarine, an extensive workshop, kyaks, a motorcycle, two bicycles and a lot more. You hardly have room to turn around, but boy oh boy, what a great place to look at sub stuff!
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:39 am

Sorry people,it is called a "Beluga".
Is that a set of molds propped up next to the seaview??
That would make a fine add to what I want to do.
My pulse just quicked a little....
Does anyone else know anything about this on of a kind boat?
I hear it is with the black sea fleet.
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:00 am

The model on the shelf is the Seaviewski. The Beluga is on the bench.
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:48 am

I saw the Beluga,it's what looks like molds laying upright that look like it could be for the Beluga.
I found on Jane's Defence website a download I paid to get the was written by the senior reasercher and cheif designer of the boat.It was pretty detailed,but text only.It is nine pages long.Seems like there should be more though.
By the way,thanks for the rc submarine cd Tim.I am giving it to a newbee today.Good work.
Is there a internal schematic of this boat,and maybe more pictures somewhere.
It is based near my wife's home city of Odessa in the Ukraine.
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby David H » Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:57 am

Dear all,

I think this boat was also known as the "Mackerel"

dave h :)
"Baldrick ,you would'nt recognise a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced on top a harpsichord singing "Subtle plans are here again!!" Blackadder.
David H

Postby TMSmalley » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:26 am

I have posted a couple of CIS Beluga photos on my website that Wayne Frey sent me. A VERY cool sub. I'd like to see Matt Thor sell one of these babies! Woo Hoo!
RC-Submarines.com
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Dolphin » Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:32 pm

So gentlemen,

So the Alfa (705) just ain't 'pointy' enough? The Beluga is a intriguing boat. It looks like Greg casted his hull lines on his model as seen in his shop picture perfectly (as usual!).

http://deepstorm.v-real.ru/DeepStorm.files/45-92/dss/1710/list.htm

Here are more drawings and links to Beluga below. My guess only is the Russians wanted to explore were Albacore left off. Laminar flow? Super critical forms?

Some illustrations in the linked page show two propellers. Contra rotating? But the drawing of the internal arrangements seem to reveal this is not likely. If Beluga is an analog to the American 'Albacore', it is possible the images we find could be mere glimpses at different times, and who is to say she did not use such a propulsion arrangement at one time. Like Albacore's many 'phases'. I would stick to the single prop as Greg has done. The drawings linked in this message also show bow planes. Hope this helps. See if Greg could cast up another hull for you. Greg is a wonderful talented man, but also judging from his work shop, a very busy man too! So be respectful of his time. On your knees and begging might be a good option. Sure Greg can help you.

Steve Reichmuth
Dolphin

Return to General