Banner Ad 1

SubRon 6 fun run - sans water

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby ameyer » Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:26 pm

Yes the intended pool was without water yesterday. But this moreing, one of many alternate ponds was available.

This one was a natural pond with clean water, fountains and launching pad. Grass lawn all around. It was was a wonderful day with subs, targets, sailboats and airplanes.

Art Meyer
ameyer

Postby ameyer » Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:34 pm

I really don't know how to use this web. Sorry, A Meyer

Edited By ameyer on 1061692921
ameyer

Postby ameyer » Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:12 am

[quote="ameyer"][/quote]
I really don't know how to use this web. Sorry.

I also want to note my observation that the community attributes and assets, the local 'hobby' personnel, as well as the representatives of the local government, fully support SubRon6's efforts. This is complementary to their support of a very large boat club in the Indianapolis area as it is in the St. Louis.

Within a mile of the beautiful (that means clean water and beautiful onlookers) setting, I saw three other lakes of equally acceptable attributes. In my opinion, a pond or pool to run model subs requires: clean water, no debris, a launching area. All three were available today. For the support of the modeler are the requirements of close parking, food, drinking water and toilet facilities. Again, all three were available today, although the last was two blocks away in the civic center. (Great place – free ice water.)

I also want to note my observation that the community attributes and assets, the local 'hobby' personnel, as well as the representatives of the local government, who are in full support SubRon6's efforts in the Indianapolis area. This is complementary to their support of a very large boat club in the Indianapolis. Much thanks to the members of the Indianapolis Admirals for their support and help. Honesty, friendly and helpful folks in mass are not equally distributed around the United States. But they are in abundance in the Midwest.

Within a mile of the beautiful (that means clean water and beautiful joggers) setting today, I saw three other lakes of equally acceptable attributes. In my opinion, a pond or pool to run model subs requires: clean water, no debris, and a launching area. For the support of the modeler are the requirements of close parking, food, drinking water and toilet facilities. I do not believe that any of the SubRon6 members knew that within 4 blocks of today site, near the civic center, were upscale eateries, et. al. I found it upon departure!

I live in the Cincinnati area. To my knowledge, there are few areas appropriate to a large sub fun run. North of Indianapolis, I have seen many. And on my list, clean water is number one.

Also, first class Hotel accommodations are available in the Indianapolis area for less than $40 per person for 2 in a room, (and arranged by the Admirals for SubRon6) with a magnificent breakfast.

If the SubCommittee can no longer meet on the east coast without the sponsorship of a government facility, I recommend a relocation to an area of better physical and social facilities, at a lower cost, and better travel access.

Promoting Indianapolis as such an area is not my intent. I am describing my experience of this week’s SubRon6’s experience.

Skip Asay attended with both his Albacore and new Marlin. Both operated faultlessly – as usual. Skip also assisted in adjustment of other models and sold one of his new super fast APC4’s to a boat racer, to use is on his stern trim tabs. (The 40 MPH bouncing on waves may be in excess of the CPU programming for subs. Skip described how he can easly reprogram the APC4 to change in dynamic response.)

This speed boat gentleman is a modeler of hyper class speed boats. He was astounded that a product exists that solves his high frequency dynamic compensation problem (slapping waves drives the bow up, and he need aft trim tab control), but was astounded when he found out the Skips APC4 also works normally, when mounted up side down. But, my point here is not the modeler’s intent. He is an automobile mechanic. He was contacted by a member of the Indianapolis Admirals to repair a failing camper of a SubRon 6 member. Turned out to be a plugged fuel filter – fixes on site. Try to get that type of support, help and friendship anywhere north of NY city!

Matt Munger (see SubCommittee Vendor Web Site) had demo’s of his ‘MungerMattic’. A is very simple plastic device (cut from plastic sheet stock by a laser) that converts the rotary motion of a servo into a linear output. Please note two things. One, to work, the pushrod must be rigidly attached to the MungerMattic, a push rod in a hole will not suffice – the push rod must be glued in place.

Secondly, this simple kinematical device was probably first used in Leonardo da Vinci’s time. It is a simple “four bar linkage” system. What we do not use is forgotten!

Steve Jensen had his solid copper, lead coated model of the Seehund on display. It is almost ready to go. Very nice looking. Potentially a serious battery ram – Grossly overpowered.

All Bass had a beautifully detailed and operating model of an X-tail Swedish boat. Don’t know the vendor, but is was a superb design and construction job. Skip trimmed it to perfection

There were many other fine boats that operated as one would expect, many large WWII German Models such as John Schagane’s 32’s parallel. Today, only one boat sunk. However considering that it was only 12 inches long, lacked any redundant safety system – we horse poop happens. The good news is, when a very small boat sinks, it usually goes straight down. This was the case, and a quick foot sweeping on the pond bottom retrieved the little critter.

For those interested in targets, there were supper models of battle ships (Japanese) Coast Guard Cutter, (US), a number of racing sailboats, and many other projects. One can hardly understand another’s project, without learning something. That’s part of the fun in fun runs.

All of the above is simply my opinion. If you wish to complain, send it to George Bush. He should be use to being complained too!

Art Meyer

Best, Art Meyer
ameyer

Postby Dolphin » Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:51 pm

Glad it all worked out. As we know...sub skippers have no set rule book, certain things they must do and not do....but there is a lot they must improvise and create 'on the spot'. For a regatta planner....you confronted and surpassed the 'worst case scenario'! You pass the Sub Regatta planner's 'Perisher' course! :D

I wish to appeal to the SubCommittee Executive to consider rotating the location geographically again for the 'National SubCommittee regatta site'. East Coast, then Carmel Ind., then West Coast, then perhaps even England/Europe?...then East coast again. The same excellent regattas in all these locations would continue unchanged, just the 'National and/or international' title would rotate, with the appropriate flourishes in attendance that comes with the title. The Carmel site sounds perfect. I know our SC President Jim Wheeler and highly respected vendor Skip Asay were present at Carmel, what are your thoughts about this site and this idea gentlemen?

The SC is a wonderful organization, it needs to consider that it is not necessarily bigger than submarine modeling and submarine history itself in all it's varied forms. The SubCommittee should always be a good custodian to the greater submarine hobby we all enjoy. The SC will flourish more.

Respectfully,

Steve Reichmuth
Dolphin

Postby ThorDesign » Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:11 pm

Bravo, Steve! I could not agree more. I know Jim and Jeff are working very hard to support the local subrons and to encourage the regatta being rotated. I think that they have always supported that from my understanding. Regattas are not easy to pull off and the East Coast guys have always stepped up to the plate and have run outstanding events.

Edited By ThorDesign on 1062080238
ThorDesign

Postby Tom Spettel » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:16 am

SC regatta in Carmel In...sounds good!! now that north lake is no more
what is holding us back?
Tom :)
A list and a plunge and down she goes to Davy Jones.
Raiders of the Deep
Tom Spettel

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:49 pm

>>> I wish to appeal to the SubCommittee Executive to consider rotating the location geographically again for the 'National SubCommittee regatta site'.

Steve, with all due respect, your appeal is misplaced and misleading.

The Executive Committee of the SubCommittee continues to be 100% behind holding annual regattas in places other than "just the East coast". But SubRegattas only happen where and when a local group of SubCommittee members (typically a Local Chapter) decide to work together to *make* a SubRegatta.

If folks are interested in seeing a SubRegatta closer to them - then volunteer to make it happen, the EC will do everything that we can to help...but the local folks will need to step up and take ownership.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby President » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:22 pm

Steve and all others....The EC will support more than one SubRegatta. We would like to see new SubRegattas each year, but not if the most sucessful area can't have one. While the rest of you sat back the East Coast SubRon's have worked hard and produced 12 SubRegatta's while the rest just grumble why not in back yard. So tell me why we can not have multiple SubRegatta's arround the country. Water will seek it's own level with mulitple SubRegatta's. Can anyone tell me why California who has the most members per state can't organize enough to host one (The Millitary Regatta is not a SubRegatta)? So bottom line here is you must organize yourselves, find a suitable place, and present yourself and your plans to the EC.

Respectfully,
Jim Wheeler
:D
Join the SubCommittee!
President
SubCommittee Officer

Postby Tom Spettel » Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:40 am

Jeff. just got done reading your comments in issue 54 (just came today)
I agree with you..thats why we started
a regatta in westminster, the venue is
perfect and the city is very suportive
of what we are doing. there is planning on a sub only fun run next year some time i will keep you guys posted.
Tom
A list and a plunge and down she goes to Davy Jones.
Raiders of the Deep
Tom Spettel

Return to General