Banner Ad 1

Sub Ron 5 Fun Run - If you were not there,you missed it.

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby Ramius » Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:50 pm

Well, our first Fun Run is over.I think I speak for everyone who came.We had a large time.Everybody was asking "how do I do this" of Matt Thor,who patiently answered all our questions,and helped trim out Paul Crozier's Permit and Micheal's Seaview.
Proteus was running that blueback around as reliable as time itself.There was an Alfa,Akula,Trafalga, and a Seawolf (nice)under the pavillion not quite ready,but they should be next year.
There was a snake that brushed up against the designated diver who was in charge of recovery(me!).
There was a collision leaving a friendly scar.The ever present watching ducks,and the fish (minnows) actually followed the subs around!
The Burke class made a brief run(VERY fast boat),but had to return to the yard.
And Carl was feeding the masses and making sure things went well and tending to details(thanks Carl)
Much more happend,but fun for all.The turnout was excellent.Plans for next year are already being whispered.Keep an out on our link.I think Pauls is going to post some pictures.
I took at least 40 good underwater shots.
That Seaview really has a presence in the water!
If you were not there,you missed a good time.
We would love to have you next year!
Wayne Frey
"A little revolution now and then is a good thing"
Ramius-Hunt for Red October
Ramius

Postby PaulC » Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:03 pm

Guys,

Not only was it SubRon5's first fun run, it was my first fun run. And I may have run a little prior to this weekend, but I've never had as much fun.

I met many guys who I had only swapped emails with, got to know some hometown neighbors who share the same passion for subs, and got to spend the weekend with my old buddy Jeff Porteous who showed off his Blueback.

The reason the event was such a success rests on the shoulders of two members, Wayne Frey and Carl Dietz. Comrade Wayne found the perfect site, handled all the set-up, served as safety diver and took a load of pics. Cap'n Carl served as commissary officer (along with his wife) and kept us well fed and watered, stood by the boats in the water and also took many pics. Even without boats of their own to run they both carried the event with their warm smiles, good humor and enthusiasm.

One lesson learned about these runs is that at least one Master Sub Modeler should be in attendance. For us, that role was filled by Matt Thor. He solved problems, possessed the right tool or trick for each situation and showed what a boat can really do when the helm is in a skilled hand. Thanks Matt for sharing your skill, fellowship and enthusiasm.

My personal thanks go out to everyone who came, especially to those who brought boats, finished or not. The humor was abundant, the friendship enjoyed was warm, and I came away with newfound operating experience I never thought I'd get. My entire family enjoyed themselves and it all goes back to the people we were with.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:57 pm

The first small batch of pictures are up at the SubRon5 website. Follow this link: http://www.warfish.com/subron5/snf2003_pics.html. More to come.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby ThorDesign » Sun Aug 17, 2003 11:04 pm

A great time was had by all!

A very special thanks go to Wayne and Carl for doing such a great job!

Not only has Paul swapped email with most of the guys in Subron 5, but now he has swapped paint as well!

I will certainly be back next year with the entire family!

:D
ThorDesign

Postby dietzer » Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:00 am

Hey guys,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm just glad everyone had a great time! I know I certainly did. :) I'm already looking forward to the next one !

My thanks to Paul for volunteering to be our SubRon contact person, and for hosting our website, which is a lot of work. And thanks to Wayne for all his time and hard work. You guys are great to work with!

And many thanks to all who came. I'm so glad you took the time to come! SubRon5 certainly has a great group of guys. I learned a lot, and really enjoyed the comraderie. And Jeff, even though you live in CA, I consider you an honorary member of SubRon5! :) You guys have inspired me to have a boat on the water by next summer...

Many thanks!

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Postby Albert » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:09 am

I was very glad to have made the trip and meet a lot of
good sub captains and their families. For the first event
of SubRon5, I believe it was very good. Thanks for every
one who help set this up. I apologize for not having my
Trafalgar and the Burke Destroyer properly ready for sea,
but will have them ready next year. Events like this one
helps everyone involved to enhance the hobby for those
who just happened by to view what is going on. Case in
point is that there was a retired WW2 sub member who
drop by and because interested in our event. Who knows,
he may be there next year with a sub. Just my 2 cents
worth. :D Albert
Albert

Postby Ramius » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:39 am

That Burke was fast folks!
Maybe with the 3/1 gear reductions,next year I could manuver for a firing solution......
I expect to see you there,new friend.
All that were there.If you would e-mail me,I would like to add your adresses to my list of contacts.
"A little revolution now and then is a good thing"
Ramius-Hunt for Red October
Ramius

Postby MBroussard » Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:41 pm

Hi everyone,

The SubRon5 was great.Had a very good time and enjoyed the sights of all the subs and projects that were there.
I have come down with an illness now. It is called RCSubitus. I am told the only cure is to build a sub. I am getting started right away so that I can be ready for next years SubRon.

Michael
Michael Broussard SCM #2660
MBroussard

Postby PaulC » Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:53 pm

Mike,

I'm glad you got bit! It was fun meeting you.

There were some great boats there. Albert's Trafalgar was really impressive. I can't wait to see it underway. The same with Michael's Seaview. Very nice job.

I look forward to running with you all. "Sound Collision!"
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Yeoman742 » Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:32 pm

Although I am mad at myself for missing this great event, I promise to make the next one, with or without a boat to sink!! But sometimes prior commitments and/or kids come first and sacrifices have to be made.. Again sorry that I missed it and look forward to the next one, and planning on attending.

Don
Yeoman742

Postby Tom Spettel » Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:47 pm

Don im with ya on this one.. there was noway work would let me change my vacation.. :(
Tom
A list and a plunge and down she goes to Davy Jones.
Raiders of the Deep
Tom Spettel

Postby PaulC » Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:46 am

You did the right thing, guys. If you don't take care of your family and job, then you won't be able to enjoy the subs. I look forward to seeing you both next time around.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Return to General