Banner Ad 1

Whats the longest you have used your....

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby RPM » Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:20 am

Sub without doing ANYTHING to it but clean and charge the batteries? I mean like hours of use vs hours of work, and how many times {or hours} have you run it before you had to fix something? like those signs you see at Union places that say:

$%^#% has worked __ days without an incident
RPM

Postby RPM » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:25 am

You guys are being weak, I want to hear prob's so we can fixem.
RPM

Postby Robse » Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:33 pm

Well, not many accidents happen in my drydock... :D
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Postby RPM » Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:46 am

Nice website you have Robert. I want to hear other peoples probs for a change to know I am not the only one :D
RPM

Postby Robse » Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:18 am

Thank you, Sir I do spend quite some time to update and improve the site, nice to hear that it pays of. :)

..and yes, I totally agree. As someone once said: "Learning is based on previous succes and faliures." I guess that's also true about our subs. Uniting experiences help everybody, and greatly reduce the traps that every subber falls into, sooner or later, doing everything on his own.
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Postby JIMJAM » Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:05 pm

I have a 32nd P VIIC U-Boat with dual WTCs,sound,lights, and the other bells and whistles. I also have R/C helicopters,boats,cars, a monster truck and 5 airplanes. From owning and running all these "toys?" I can say this. If it has a screw on it, tighten it once in a while. If the screw can come undone and can cause you to destroy your machine, check it each time. If a wire comes loose and will cause you to lose your machine, double check it. Anything that you suspect isnt 100%, will fail. Those you think are OK, are not. Adding water to the equation just amplifys the possiblity of failure.If you say to yourself, there is no way water can get through there, it CAN. The one tool you leave behind because you will not need it, you will.Bottom line is figure out which failures would cause you to lose your sub or diable it. What ever they are, really concentrate on those areas and make them bulletproof.
JIMJAM

Postby RPM » Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:58 am

Well put. I also am a rc heli, turbine jet, prop plane and whatever else rc nut. I totally agree that in order to have any fun with the more complex models they really have to be bullet proof. My learning curve with water in the equation was pretty rough, to have soo many variables it took me awhile to get everything ironed out.
RPM

Postby Carcharadon » Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:43 pm

Well I've probably been out 25-30 times in the past 2 months testing my 4ft jet Nautilus. First I had to get it balanced just right, too heavy it would be more than happy to go to the bottom 20-30 ft, too light would not submerge. No problem with the electrics just getting the right balance. Did that. Now it submerges and then after about 100ft under water automatically surfaces. But not always in a straight line. Of course if I could see it then I could make mid course changes, that would be a big help but at least it just goes out there underwater. Progress any way.

Edited By Carcharadon on 1061235842
Carcharadon

Return to General