Banner Ad 1

CD's of the Report - electronic option

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby Ramius » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:56 am

I have seen mention of the Report being made into CD for back issues.Since before too long the renewal will be going out,wouldn't this be the ideal time to add the cost of making CD's avalible(as an option) to next years subscription?
I would go for it.Surely,as all that work gets ready for printing that would be the best time to make it electronic.
A cool idea.But this hobby is demanding on the staff to turn out a magazine every quarter,much less this website.You guys do a #### of a good job right now.
Guess I am saying thanks for what you do,we appreciate all the work,but would it be hard to add CD's?
Wayne Frey
"A little revolution now and then is a good thing"
Ramius-Hunt for Red October
Ramius

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:25 pm

This is a question that has been coming up more and more frequently.....especially since we announced our intention to start making all the back issues of the SCR available via CDrom. (which project is slowly coming along!)

Jim, Jim, and I recently talked about the viability of an 'electronic or CDrom membership', but we are still not comfortable that this will make economic sense for the SubCommittee. The issue that we still do not have a good response to is the one of members giving copies of the CDrom-based magazine to others.

Before everyone jumps up and down and tells us that no one (or few) would do this: we are aware of current SubCommittee members that are today passing around their printed copy of the SCR to multiple non-members on a regular basis. (like 4 times a year!) There is no reason to believe that going to an electronic membership will reduce that type of behavior...I think just the opposite would occur.

This has a direct financial impact on our ability to produce a quality printed document. We have managed to hold the annual membership at it's current rate through careful management of the membership dues and through many price and materials conversations with our printer. We'd like to keep our membership dues where they are! :)

For the time being, and unless someone can help us to resolve this apparent dilemma, we are looking to make a given issue of the SCR available in electronic format (PDF) once it becomes a year old.

(and btw: the SCR is already in electronic form when I send it to the printer. We submit camera-ready pages in high resolution PDF file format.....so the work for issues #39 forward is already done! :D )

Any and all suggestions are very welcomed!

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby KOEZE » Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:42 am

I can only point out the following site (in german I'm afraid) where a modelling magazine is offering complete year of magazines in electronic form. Modelwerft

Hope this helps

EJK
You don't stop playing because you get older,
you get older because you stop playing.
KOEZE

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:01 pm

EJK,

As best as I can tell (with my rusty German), they are offering *back issues* in PDF format on a CDrom.....just as we are in the process of doing!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:04 pm

I too know of people passing issues around and xeroxing etc.
I may have gotten a few myself before joining.

I suspect as well that with CD burners standard equipt in just about every new computer this problem would be increased.

It might take 20 minutes to photocopy an 80 page SCR but a CD can be burned in a couple of minutes. I fear this will have a chilling effect on back issue sales and possibly membership numbers as well.

Tim
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby KOEZE » Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:37 am

Been reading too fast. New issues of a magazine on CD rom... I Agree that its is very easy to copy or even email the stuff around. Back issues would be a very good idea, especially when the printed items run out.

EJK
You don't stop playing because you get older,
you get older because you stop playing.
KOEZE

Postby Ramius » Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:50 am

Of course,with today's tech in everyone's house,there is little to keep someone from scanning an issue and making their own cd.The genie is out of the bottle,but we do not need to make it easier.For sure if someone is caught doing that,it should be punishable by maritime law,and we could do like the indians did.Everyone in the room turn away from the offender and show our backs to him!
An ousted submarine can be a lonley thing in the ocean!
It is a difficult thing to ponder,but surely there is a way to get it done.
Wayne
"A little revolution now and then is a good thing"
Ramius-Hunt for Red October
Ramius

Return to General