Banner Ad 1

Skipjack detailling help ! - 1/96 scale....

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby AntoineL » Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:58 am

Hi fellows,

I need help to find out what are these white metal parts and where should I install them ?
There are a kind of radar, an antenna etc.....but I cant see clearly on the drawing where they should be installed .

I have few resin masts of different sizes....

Here are few pics :

Thanks

Antoine.
~~~~ MOBILIS IN MOBILE ~~~~
AntoineL

Postby AntoineL » Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:43 pm

another question .......should the SSN589 (in 1968) be fitted with a 7 blades prop or the conv. 5 blades one ?

Thank you for your help all !

Antoine.
AntoineL

Postby Dolphin » Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:27 pm

Hi Antoine!

The mast shrouds (the foil shaped masts in cast resin) can go on most of any of the masts present. The larger snorkel mast (biggest foil shaped mast) goes farthest aft - part #42.

Part #46 on your instruction sheet (nice you added your instruction this to your message...very cool!) is a standard size mast but place the rotating SS-2a radar dish on top of it. The VLF radio loop (mast part #50 - see the part that looks like a teardrop football?) BTWthat is the American football not a soccer ball :) ). This mast goes forward of the radar mast down the center line. When retracted, the upper hemisphere of the VLF antenna will be exposed faired into the sail top. (See Scorpion images below dated a few days before her tragic loss). The periscopes go on either side of the VLF football just aft of the bridge area. The slim attack scope (no shroud) to starboard. The larger head observation scope to port, both periscopes side by side. The masts aft near the large snorkel mast are ECM masts. A shroud with a tube shaped mast telescoping out above it.

Scorpion and others in the Skipjack class by 1968 had exchanged their 5 bladed speed 'power props' for a 7 blade skewed back propellor of the same diameter by that time. The sleek pointed propellor dunce was replaced with a abbreviated dunce cap cut off and had a small bell shaped blunt end. The Sturgeon SSN-637 class used simular props then.

Hope the images (more in 3D) below helps....
Back to the shop for me!
Regards,

Steve Reichmuth

Dolphin

Postby AntoineL » Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:58 pm

BIIIIIIIG THANK YOU Steve !!!!!!!

:;):

Antoine
AntoineL

Return to General