Banner Ad 1

Naval Historical Center SS-1-SSBN 599 image links

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby Dolphin » Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:43 pm

Hope everyone present had a good time in Rhode Island at SC SR 2003.

Below are addresses to the Naval Historical Center with links, providing the hull numbers of all U.S. Navy submarines numbered from SS -1 to SSBN 599 series, with links to those "boats" with photos available in the Online Library. The steam powered Plunger (pre-SS-1) is also linked.

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/shusn-no/ss-no.htm
http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/shusn-no/ss-no2.htm
http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/shusn-no/ss-no4.htm

These should help in research for those modelers out there.

Have not heard from Antoine lately. Hope the fun with 'Submarine Aestetics' has not faded yet. A hint, the stern of the boat in the latest quiz is British. :D

Steve Reichmuth

Dolphin

Postby AntoineL » Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:25 pm

Steve

Dont worry !
I just havent found the time yet for my research.....holidays, returning from holidays.....working again....Hard jobs you know :D

I already have the next quiz ready, I just need to find yours to post it now :p

cheers

Antoine
~~~~ MOBILIS IN MOBILE ~~~~
AntoineL

Postby raalst » Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:00 pm

Thanks for posting this !

It did learn me one new thing already :
albacore had forward dive planes. never knew that.
two photos prove it, like
this picture

BTW this looks like a good source of cover picures for the
SCR as well
Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby AntoineL » Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:47 pm

sorry but these links dont seem to work for me....???

need help !

Antoine
~~~~ MOBILIS IN MOBILE ~~~~
AntoineL

Postby Dolphin » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:56 pm

I often am looking high and low for SCR cover pictures. A lot of fun really. The Naval Historical Center photographic section just one of several excellent sources. Images of USS Robalo (SS-273) from the Naval Historical Center will be appearing on the next SCR cover. Proper accreditation of the source of the image has always been and will continue a strict tradition. Hi Res images with a high pixel quantity are a must. A few of the images we have had to get permission. The permission has always been granted gladly, and has varied from individual sources, museums, the internet, to even Bethlehem Steel Corporation in Pennsylvania once. The U.S. Navy also has very huge quantity pixel images we use for SCR covers.

Since the body of the next report will be mainly about the American 'Fleet boats', our original huge hi res 'cover to cover' image of USS Virginia (SSN-774) originally planned has been put back in reserve temporarily. Jeff and I whipped out a new cover of Robalo in about 3 emails and 20 hours or so later. Hope the covers we present are both informative, dramatic enough to sell the magazine, and are worthy of this knowledgeable organization. It can be a tough audience. It is a privilege to serve the SCR in this small way.

Antione has been such a wonderful help in introducing me to French submarines as sources for information and modeling subjects. Some French sous-marins have unique shapes, others are ho- hum like many submarines of all Navies, but a few French designs will jump out at you presenting one with many conventional balanced designs with some boats having unique solutions & features in addressing engineering problems (bow planes for example) making one wonder why a r/c or static model has not been attempted yet. Thank you Antione!

enough said,

Steve Reichmuth
Dolphin

Return to General