Banner Ad 1

Advice needed on setting up nav course - Fo rht eSubRon5 Sun N Fun 2003

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby dietzer » Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:18 am

Hello,

There's been some interest in setting up a navigation course for the SubRon5 Sun N Fun 2003. This would not be a competition, just something we do for fun. There will be no prizes awarded, and no judging will take place.

That said, I'd like advice on how to setup a course, what to use for buoys, etc. I've read the SubRegatta Manual, but it says a lot about judging events and little or nothing about setting up a course. Can anyone help me out ? Please keep in mind I'm new to running subs, and am probably a year away from having one on the water myself.

Thanks in advance,

Carl

Edited By dietzer on 1058847563
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Postby seaphoto » Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:17 pm

Hi Carl,

It depends on the water you will be running on. If it is clear, you can set up some neat underwater obtacles using hula hoops. Fishing line and heavy weights will keep them in place. You can sometimes get tire weights and other heavy objects for free from your local automotive repair shop (brake rotors are good weights)

For buoys, you can use 1 liter soda bottles tied by the cap end, and filled with enough water to get the height you wish. You can paint them red or black if you want to get fancy.

From there, anything goes. You can have piers to practice your docking skills, islands with structures on them made from foam and detailed like Model railroad layouts, ships anchored out in the water. A hula hoop with large chunks of foam can be an impromptu ice flow to practice precision surfacing. You can set up a production line with your other club members to make realistic buoys - making a pattern and casting multiple copies out of resin would be a natural here.

I always thought that a really neat club would require each memeber to be responsible for some scenic element that could be brought to a fun run or regatta, as well as a couple of buoys - a pier, island, sinking ship, or something else. Have a contest to see who brings the most inovative decoration each time. The net result will be a very enjoyable running enviorment.

Kurt Greiner
Kurt Greiner - Former SC Member #0194
Seaphoto Maritime Photography
Featuring many submarine photos!
http://warshipphotos.com
And Warship Models Underway

http://www.warshipmodelsunderway.com
seaphoto

Postby D Manley » Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:14 am

You have naild it kurt! if only this idea would catch on! ???

Dave
D Manley

Postby Dolphin » Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:47 am

"A hula hoop with large chunks of foam can be an impromptu ice flow to practice precision surfacing."

What a fun idea Kurt!

Steve Reichmuth
Dolphin

Postby chips » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:02 pm

FOAM BUOYS: Got any 1 inch flotation (insulation) foam around? To make 1 buoy you'll need: one 3 inch diameter foam disk; three 1 inch diameter foam disks; a 4-5 inch long eyebolt with 2 nuts and fender washers; string or fish line; and 4-8 ounce weight (duck decoy weights work great). Cut out the four foam disks. Drill a or punch a hole through the center for the eyebolt. Run a nut all the way down the eyebolt, as close to the eye as possible. Install a fender washer. Install the large (3 inch) disk, followed by the smaller disks. Attach the other waher and nut. Paint the buoys red, green or yellow. Tie a string to the eye. I usually tie a bowline or make an eyesplice in the other end of the mooring line, and attach a lanyard clip to the string eye. Attach the lanyard clip to the weight. When you're done for the day disconnect the weight, wrap the morring line around the shaft of the eyebolt, and pass the clip through the eye of the eyebolt. If you want to get fancy, you can taper the last two foam disks to form a nun buoy.

Buoys, the 2 red & 1 green buoy in the foreground are made of foam disks. The larger red buoy, Buoy 2, is lighted. The lighted buoy has the following Radio Shack parts: flashing LED; 9 volt battery connector; battery holder for 2 AA batteries. The battery holder has a 9 volt connetor. From the home improvement store: 1.5 inch PVC pipe coupler; 1.5 inch PVC pipe plug; 1.5 - 1/2 inch PVC pipe reducing bushing; 1/2 PVC pipe; eyebolt with nut, and PVC glue. From the hobby shop: sheet styrene and paint. Drill a hole in the center of the pipe plug and install the eyebolt, apply a generous amount of RTV around the bolt amd nut on the inside of the plug. Glue the plug into the coupling. Cust three foam disks, 5 inches in diameter. Cut out the center of the disks to match the diameter of the coupler. Glue the foam disks to the outside of the coupler. Glue a 4 inch length of 1/2 inch PVC pipe inrto the reducing bushing. Cute 2 styrene disks, the lower one is 2 inches in diameter and has a hole in the center for the OPVC pipe. The radar reflector is 2 inches high, cut four pieces of styrene. Glue the larger styrene disk and radar reflectors onto the PVC pipe. Dirll ahole in the skaller top disk for the LED leads. Glue the LED to the disk, and solder the 9 volt bettery connector to the leads. Pass the battery connector down thru the PVC pipe and glue the disk in place. Paint the buoy. After the batteries are installed, slide the PVC bushing into the coupling - DO NOT GLUE, you want to be able to open it up to change the batteries.

Edited By chips on 1059668833
Bob Gesking
SC# 1575
KC8WPF
chips
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tom Spettel » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:20 am

if you like checkout the bouys in the
photo gallery at the coloradocrews website Ted and i used pvc pipe and end caps for our bouys they are fancy.
I also made the weights out of concrete. the line we used a 1/16" cord and cut it into one fathom and
2' sections(the lake we run in is 18'
deep in the center and the two lenghts
wrked out good. if you need more details just E-mail me.
Tom
A list and a plunge and down she goes to Davy Jones.
Raiders of the Deep
Tom Spettel

Return to General