Banner Ad 1

Taking the plunge!! - newbie

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby eric_mtl » Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:16 pm

Well, no turning back now... After looking at subs on the net for several months and toying with the idea of getting a Delta or a Nautilus, i just ordered a Delphin kit from Norbert! Thank you to AntoineL for helping me through this process! (he just received his kit today, lucky...)

So I have no experience with subs, I just fly planes (well, I TRY to fly planes...) So I may need some support as I go...

eric
eric_mtl

Postby Silent Hunter » Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:20 am

Say....Just where do us folks in the USA get a Delphin kit? I know Iv'e seen the info before on the Internet, but don't remember where.
Richard Frisch
Subcommittee member #2348
Silent Hunter

Postby raalst » Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:12 am

order it by Norbert Brueggen.

www.modelluboot.de

send him a direct e-mail.
Why would you want to pay the reseller as well ;-)

regards,
Ronald van Aalst
Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby Skip Asay » Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:39 am

"Why would you want to pay the reseller as well"

Excellent question and one that requires an answer from a "reseller's" point of view. But first, there's one very important fact which must be established. The size of the model submarine community is incredibly small. Read that as "there ain't too many guys to sell to". Carry that a step further - this isn't the business to get into if you're looking to retire early.

So an honest answer would be "to allow that reseller to stay in business". Without spending a whole lot of time and bandwidth on a long drawn out description, look at it this way. If that "reseller" has an item in stock that you desire, chances are that he has several others, as well. Generally, if he buys one of an item, he'll get a discount, but if he buys say 5 or 10 of that item, he'll get a better discount. But now he has a substantial investment sitting on his shelf. If that item was imported from the other side of the ocean, he's gone through the hassle of importing, paying taxes, duties, shipping, etc. which generally means that the buyer doesn't have to. OK, you say, "but so and so (the manufacturer) sells that for $100 in Europe and so and so (the "reseller") here in the states sells it for $120. I'll buy it direct from the manufacturer in Europe". Besides the convienence of getting it from the "reseller" (it's sitting on his shelf, you'll almost certainly get it quicker) the hassle with importing it has already been done.
From the "reseller's" point of view, he might have purchased that item at a 25% discount which could be seen as a $35 profit. But don't forget that he also jumped through the hoops in getting that item to his location and tied up a lot of his money just to have that item sit on his shelf. Truth be known, if it sits there long enough, he probably would have made more of a profit if he had put that money in a money market account. And, if that's the case, he probably wouldn't stay in business so those other items you get from him that you can't get anyplace else wouldn't be available any more. Case in point: I've sold literally thousands of stuffing boxes and linkage seals in the past 11 years. But even if I had sold all of those within just the past 12 months, and nothing else, I wouldn't be in business any more.

And yes, it helps the manufacturer, too. True, he sold that item to the "reseller" for less than what the end user would have paid but he sold several of them to the same buyer at the same time which means that his cash flow was up. And that goes a long way toward paying for what he has to stock to be able to manufacture that item.

Skip Asay
SubTech
The U.S. of A - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave
Skip Asay

Postby WL Upshaw/Scale Shipyard » Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:38 pm

Skip:

Very Well Put

People here did indeed need to have that explained.

I make over 130 fiberglass hulls of which 17 are subs right now,which also means that I have the largest selection of sub hull available, probably as many as all the other guys here combined still.
If I had to rely on just submarine hull sales, I would have been out of this business may years ago, these days it is tough enough to keep the lights on with the large selection that I do have, altogether I have around 500 items available.

W.L. Upshaw
The Scale Shipyard :cool:
W.L. Upshaw
The Scale Shipyard
www.scaleshipyard.com
Largest Selection of quality fiberglass model warship & submarine hulls.
WL Upshaw/Scale Shipyard

Postby raalst » Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:38 pm

Dear resellers,

My apologies for hitting a nerve I did not mean to touch.
I certainly do not advocate driving you out of
business. And I fully agree resellers do add value like
you indicated.

Next to that I felt a bit like indicating that there actually
*IS* a world outside the States.
But that is a feeling that has no place in this forum,
and I should have kept it out of my posting.

But, just for my curiosity, is there anybody in the
america's who is actually reselling Norbert's
product range now ?

If not, I will continue to inform about what is
being made by whom in Europe, just like you take
pride in advocating the fine American products you offer.

I bought a Skipjack from him, and I am one satisfied
customer. I thought that was worth a little praise.

(Just for clarity, I am not commercially active in
our hobby, I am living in Europe, and I aspire not to
offend fellow Subcommittee members :;): )

Regards,
Ronald van Aalst
Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby Skip Asay » Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:01 pm

Ronald -

There was no offense taken by your post and I was not attempting to "slap you down" with my reply. :) I just felt the need to clarify a little.

But neither was I "advocating" any specific geographic region. A "reseller" is a "reseller", regardless of where he/she is located.

The only person I am aware of who stocks any of Norbert's stuff here in the States (under Norbert's name) is Frank Ryan.
http://subconcepts.com

Skip Asay
SubTech
The U.S. of A - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave
Skip Asay

Postby eric_mtl » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:57 pm

Wow, had not followed my thread... Nice to see it's being used for a nice little debate...

On another note: while I am still eagerly awaiting the delivery of my Delphin kit, I am now also eagerly awaiting the delivery of a Delta... I guess Antoine finally determined that his Delta had ran out of bodies of water to explore in France, so it is being shipped to Canada for a full tour of duty!

I know that Antoine really loved his Delta so it is quite the honor and privilege for me to become it's new captain... I hope by mid-August to have the first pictures of the Delta exploring Lac Pilon in Ste-Adèle, Québec...

eric
eric_mtl

Postby MarcoPolo » Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:39 pm

I am also a newbie and I am also waiting for my first submarine. And guess what, I am also in Montreal!!

I have ordered the Albacore. I hope I will get it before the postal service is on strike.

Any other submarine guy in Montreal?
MarcoPolo

Postby eric_mtl » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:04 am

Marco, good luck with the postal strike, the deadline is tonight no?

Mine is coming by a Fedex type delivery so I won't be affected. They promised to get to me next monday...

Where do you plan to run your sub? Maybe we can meet at some point and compare notes...

eric
eric_mtl

Postby MarcoPolo » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:59 am

Yes it is tonight. I am crossing my fingers to get it today or for no strike.

I am planning on running it in my pool and at my parent's summer house. They have a small private lake. It is in the Portneuf area near Quebec city.

This will be my first RC model. I usually do static models of space ships. I am a Science-fiction addict so if my first sub is a success, I will probably try building one we see in a science-fiction film or TV show.

You can see some of my other realisations here if you are interested.

My Webpage

Yes we can stay in touch an compare notes.
MarcoPolo

Return to General