Banner Ad 1

Periscope

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby eric_mtl » Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:45 pm

Hi,

While waiting for my subs, I thought I should build a periscope. Let me explain... I plan to use my subs on a small lake where I have my country place. A lot of the time, the water is choppy and seeing under the air/water barrier is dificult. So why not attach a periscope to my dock? This way I can sit comfortably in front of the top end and have a clear view of the action below the water line. What do you think? Usefull? Worth the trouble? any recomendations on how I should build it? Any plans, links?

eric
eric_mtl

Postby Seasub88 » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:18 pm

:p sounds like a great idea, let us know how it turns out. 2 mirrors on a 45 deg angle in a wooden box would work for starters. seasub88
Seasub88

Postby eric_mtl » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:29 am

Yeah, I was thinking of using 2 mirrors at 45 degrees in some metal pipes, maybe copper... the reason is that with more weight, it will be easier to push down into the water and it will be easier to seal and keep the moisture out (otherwise there will condensation on the mirrors and glass reducing visibility).

eric
eric_mtl

Postby 70-1048541373 » Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:32 pm

Hi,

Have you considered using PVC? Cheap and easy to assemble.

I'm sure there are commercial products out there too. I know there is a viewing device used on boats to see DOWN. Looks like a mega-phone. This would'nt give you the 90 deg. ability,but might help!

Also, look in Edmunds. They have mirrors and lenses...infact, here is a link for a "Spy Scope":

http://www.scientificsonline.com/ec....=336147

Hope this helps!
Mike
70-1048541373

Return to General