Banner Ad 1

Superb quality Thor+Meriman - Alfa upgrade - well worth the wait

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby Slats » Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:50 pm

I just wanted to let the wider group know that I have just received my Alfa upgrade appendages and other pieces from Matt Thor. The wait for these parts was 100% worth it. Matt Thor + David Merriman, in my humble opinion equals perfection. Thankyou gentlemen for your continued efforts at making our hobby more enjoyable, dare I say realistic too. Dam you guys are good!!
Yes I know these gentleman have egos already, but I think we all need to acknowledge from time to time how pre-historic this hobby would be with out vendors like these guys.

For those of you who may be considering a purchase from Thor design and feel that the cost is too high, please consider that what you get in terms of authenticity and build quality is exceptionally well priced. In terms of trying to save money, in the past I have ordered cheaper hulls and made my own parts. But in the end, the cost of these separate processes come very close to, or if not exceed, what a kit from Thor design would cost. If you then factor in the build time required to get a hull and parts looking like an unbuilt Thor kit, you will then find, like I have, the Thor range even more attractive.

If I can make it to Sub Regatta 2004, I owe you guys the finest dinner I can buy. :D
John Slater

Sydney, Australia
Slats

Postby Boomer » Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:40 pm

Slats,

I have had the very same experience. I bought a less expensive kit from another vendor and pulled my hair out for months trying to keep it straight and trying adding to what little detail there was on the hull I bought. I was running my tug at our local pond when a friend of mine came down with a Thor Flight 2 Los Angeles. I talked to him about the detail and fit as I could not believe my eyes. It was a museum piece. I could not believe he was going to put it in the water! I choked on the price when he told me how much it was, but a year later I finally broke down and bought one hull from Thor and now I own 3. I am on the waiting list for the Gato after I saw it in his shop. I am now spoiled rotten. Thor does the finest kit work out there, in my humble opinion. I know he gets help from Dave Merriman and why not! From what I have seen of the quality that Thor gets from D&E for his fittings I can understand why Thor goes nowhere else. Thor, also, pushes the D&E cylinders as everyone of Matt's boats that I saw had one of Dave Merriman's cylinders in it. It is an excellent marriage between these 2 guys. My hat is off to them both. I will second Slat's comments about Thor's and Dave's work. If you are considering buying one of their kits, do it! You will never be dissappointed. Pay now or pay later certainly applies here!

RJ
Have Fun,

RJ
Boomer

Postby Slats » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:16 pm

Boomer,
do you know what scale the Thor Gato is?
all the best
John Slater
(Slats)
John Slater

Sydney, Australia
Slats

Postby Tom Spettel » Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:00 pm

I f not mistaken i think the Gato is in 1/48, I cant wait to see this one
Tom
A list and a plunge and down she goes to Davy Jones.
Raiders of the Deep
Tom Spettel

Postby AdriaticSea » Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:34 am

Hello everyone,

I'm Mauro and I just want to say that Jhon Slater is 100%right! I live in Italy and I just received my Permit class hull kit and electronics...there aren't enough words to describe the quality and craftmanship of Matthew Thor's work...the hull and resin parts are amazing, the scribed-in details are simply perfect...TOP QUALITY HULL KITS! And the electronics are a beauty...so small and so effective! Don't forget that I'm Italian....and, in spite of this, the hull arrived at my door in less than 2 weeks, and Matt has been really a kind guy to answer all my hundreds of questions...top notch service!
BEST REGARDS MAURO

Edited By AdriaticSea on 1058009677
-Rapidi ed Invisibili-
AdriaticSea

Return to General