Banner Ad 1

WD-40 the stuff of gods !!

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby ThierryC » Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:00 pm

Whoever invented WD-40 should be given a nobel price ! That stuff has saved my electronics many times ! A little while ago one of my speed control decided to go bad and would not keep the neutral position, even if I would tweak the adjustment pots, I was ready to junk it and buy a new one when I decided to take it appart and bath it in WD-40 for 5 minutes (don't ask why this was a complete random moment) after carefull drying the ESC worked perfectly and stiff does.
I had troubles with my receiver, chennels 5-6-7 would not work anymore and I was left with 4 channels to control a sub that requires 13 channels (not good). There again, took the thing appart bathed it inWD-40 for 5 minutes and voila: a receiver that is now working perfectly !
Last year, catastrophic flooding of the WTC of one of the sub, after drying, most of the elctronics were shot. There again, bath of WD-40 and only thing that had to be replaced was a servo.

WD-40 is there anything it cannot do ??? :p :p
There are 10 kind of people, those who undertand binary and those who don't !
Sub-Systems
ThierryC

Postby Wheels » Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:01 pm

Thierry....They call it that because WD-40 stands for Water Displacement formula 40. It's also great for bicycle chains too...Oh I forgot that's not submarine related. :p

Jim Wheeler
Jim Wheeler....."Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Wheels
SubCommittee Member

Postby Dolphin » Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:33 pm

I always thought Beer & Pizza was the stuff of the Gods! (Salami, [or Pepperoni], sausage and Olives, AND extra cheese!). Which beer? Skippers discretion.

Your stories (which I believe!) remind me of that story were in 1958 USS Nautilus (SSN-571) made a stop in Bremmerton, Washington just prior to making it's first try under the Northern Ice cap from the Pacific to the Atlantic. There was a tiny steam leak in the secondary loop to the turbines. They looked everywhere for that leak with a microscope virtually. No luck. Exasperated. After getting permission (Rickover?), they put into the steam loop some of that aluminum powder stuff that costs 2 bucks and stops car radiator leaks. It worked! (if the story is true that is!)

Steve Reichmuth
Dolphin

Postby RPM » Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:37 pm

I read the book "Nautilus 90 North" and it said that they bought up all the Alumaseal the could find in the city they stopped at.
RPM

Return to General