Banner Ad 1

Where do you run your sub? - Lake,pool,pond,conditions ect

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby JIMJAM » Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:29 pm

I was spoiled for years running in a usually clear,rock bottomed cove at a Lake. I knew the cove well and it had no obstacles and I got a birds eye view from standing on a 5 ft dock. Now the lake has been lowered for 2 years due to dam construction and Im outta water. Getting ready to run my U-Boat in a small lake with coffee colored water and Ill be at ground level. Just wondering where you run your subs and the water conditions. ???
JIMJAM

Postby Seasub88 » Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:30 pm

:D Actually jimjam I build very small subs and operate them in my gold fish bowl .... annoys #### out of the fish..I also am lucky enough to have a swimming pool where most mission are conducted. later enjoy
Seasub88

Postby Tom Spettel » Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:17 am

We run at a concrete lined lake owend
buy the city here in a suburb of Denver it is perfect. clear water as deep as 18ft in the center.
Tom
A list and a plunge and down she goes to Davy Jones.
Raiders of the Deep
Tom Spettel

Postby Dolphin » Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:45 am

It is always a little scary diving in merky water the first few times. This may be a good thing. The first few dives I always turn the boat around on the surface and have it dive toward me on shore so if something goes wrong (even though it is checked thoughly on shore) at least your boat is heading toward you. Stay close to the surface around periscope depth.

Sure others with more experiance can chime in.

Steve Reichmuth
Dolphin

Postby Robse » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:53 pm

I'll be going to a fresh water lake close by, all though I live on an island with lots of clear salty ocean around me. (Can't wait to chase those ducks...)

Still, as Dolphin writes, beware of unknown waters. Check for obstickles, and water depth! Make sure it's possible to go out and reclaim your sub, should it sink or get cought up in something. Also, make sure that there's not another happy R/C guy around, using the same channel as you... :)
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Postby Casey Thrower » Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:55 pm

I sail in a limestone rock quarry. It's 20 acres with crystal clear water. I stand on a 10 foot ledge and can see the sub as deep as I go. I lost a DeBoer Skipjack in 40' water there but I was in luck as 20 divers from the local rescue squad were there training. They found it in 20 minutes. The WTC didn't leak either. Too much weight and as I hovered and took my attention off her she sank.
Casey Thrower SC Member #1675

"Oh Lord, Thy sea is so large and my boat is so small"
Casey Thrower

Postby Bob the Builder » Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:31 am

That rock quarry sounds like the ideal location!

I just moved to beatiful Victoria, British Columbia. My Nautilus is still under construction, and the move has put her launch date back quite a bit, but work will still proceed!

There are about six crystal clear lakes around here within a few kilometers from home, and the Victoria Model Shipbuilding Society has a few subbers that meet every Sunday morning at the concrete boat pond in Southern Victoria.

I can't wait to be one of them!
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby RPM » Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:58 pm

San Francisco bay {I live on the bay}, various marinas. Some are more clear than others though, just gotta keep my enormous periscope/antenna outta the water. I would love to go to a really clear freshwater lake at some point...
RPM

Return to General