Banner Ad 1

Passing of Tim Smalley's Father... - News

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby Ubootman » Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:32 pm

Hi Everyone,
I regret to inform you that Tim Smalley lost his father on June 26th. Please include him in your thoughts, meditations and prayers. Please take the time to read the obituary below:

Dr. Maris L. Smalley

8/12/15 – 6/26/03

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
Tim Smalley

There was a need he saw that he could fill.

Dr. Maris L. Smalley, 87, of Duluth, died Thursday (6/26) in Abbott-Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis surrounded by his loving family and friends. He was born in Lakefield Minnesota, son of Oliver and Margaret (Donaldson) Smalley. Maris played basketball and football at Lakefield High and graduated from the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry in June of 1942.

He served in the U.S. Navy attached to the Marine Corps in the South Pacific during World War II and participated in the invasions of Woodlark Island and New Guinea during the Solomon Island Campaign. Maris performed dentistry and doubled as a corpsman. Other times he participated in the heavy fighting. He was awarded the Purple Heart for injuries he received from a sniper’s bullet and was honorably discharged from the Navy as a Lt. Commander in 1945.

He married Lois Browne in 1942 before graduation and the moved to Duluth (Minnesota) after the war where he set up his dental practice in the West End over the Lund Pharmacy. Maris and Lois had two sons, David (Cooper City, Fla) and Timothy (Apple Valley, Minn). Lois died in 1978 and in 1980, Maris married a family friend, Frances Arnegard whose husband had passed away in 1979.

Never one to be idle; after retirement in 1984, with Frances’ help he built a free dental clinic on the island of Aitutaki in the Cook Island chain in the South Pacific. He always loved the people of the area when he was there during the war and wanted to go back to help them.

There was no equipment or supplies, but Maris had a vision and he made it happen. Much of the supplies and equipment was donated by other Minnesota dentists and Maris and Frances built shipping crates and sent several tons of it by tramp steamer to the island. Six trips and thousands of hours of planning and hammering and nailing and training of the small staff of dental nurses, the clinic was completed. With the support of the Rotary Club of Duluth, Maris built another dental clinic on the island of Aitu, also in the Cook Island chain. The clinics help serve an area of 850,000 square miles and a population of 25,000 islanders. Maris and Frances also did volunteer dentistry in the Hong Kong refugee camps, the Amazon River Basin and St. Lucia.

Besides being a loving husband and father, Maris loved duck hunting and would spend hours chatting with anyone who would talk about it with him. He was making plans to go hunting this fall with his two sons and grandson.

He was preceded in death by his parents, wife Lois and brother Eugene. He is survived by his wife Frances, sister Bonnie (Sundermann) of Windom, Minn., sons David (Marian) and Timothy (Claire), step-son James Arnegard and step-daughter Nancy Arnegard (San Diego, Cal), grandchildren David and Olivia Smalley (Cooper City, Fla), Kathleen Smalley (Anoka, Minn) Bridget Smalley (Coon Rapids, Minn) Christy and Cece Zavala (San Diego), Heather (Chorak) Fitch (Inger Grove Heights), Minn) and one great grand-daughter Lily Marie Fitch.

VISITATION & FUNERAL

Visitation: Monday 4 – 6 PM Dougherty Funeral Home 600 East 2nd St., Duluth, MN

Mass of Christian Burial: Our Lady of the Rosary Cathedral, 2801 East 4th Street, Duluth MN

I asked Tim if there was any type of memorial and he emailed me this:

"The Paul Harris Foundation helped fund the building materials
for one of
Dad's Cook Island dental clinics. I think he would like to see
any donations
go there."
Tim

Memorials -
To the Paul Harris Rotary Club Foundation
c/o Duluth Rotary Club
505 West Superior St.
Duluth, MN 55802

As you can imagine it is a great loss for Tim, those that are his friends should drop him a line or a quick phone call.

Thanks for your time.

Scott Steckler
Ubootman

Postby Torsten » Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:07 pm

Tim,

so sorry to hear about that.
I've been through such heavy loss myself this year.
All the best to you and your family !

Torsten
Torsten

Postby D Manley » Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:39 pm

Sounds like quite a man!
My condolinces Tim!
I hope when I go, folks can say just half the nice things about me as they have said about him!

Dave
D Manley

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:57 pm

Thank you gentlemen. He was my friend, my hero and the guy that got me interested in submarines. I'll miss him terribly.

Tim Smalley
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Return to General