Banner Ad 1

Please Help

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby TopGun » Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:11 pm

Sorry for double posting but I put my other post in the wrong forum...I bought a second hand Alfa sub (Thor) and a WTC. I have never built an r/c submarine and the alfa or the WTC dont have instructions! All I have to show for 600 dollars is a glass shell of a sub and a plastic tube(I am not impressed) Where can I get instructions? Also the wtc is one big watertight compartment and one compartment with a hole and what looks like the propel tank. Is this right? How does this all work?
TopGun

Postby AntoineL » Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:23 pm

[color=blue]useful contacts for your problem :D

if your Alfa is 1/72 scale...it is maybe the Thor one :

Your WTC is "maybe" a WTC 3.5 from D&E :

hope it helps

[/color]
~~~~ MOBILIS IN MOBILE ~~~~
AntoineL

Postby TMSmalley » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:41 am

If you got a 1/72 Thor Alfa and a D&E WTC for $600, I - for one - AM impressed! You got well over $1000 worth of toys.

There are several articles that have appeared in the SubCommittee Report (September 1996, for one) that document the buildup of a Thor hull. However, if you contact Matt Thor you can probably purchase a set of instructions as well.

I suspect Dave Merriman at the email address that Antoine supplied you with will sell you a copy of the plans to put the WTC into working order. If not, let me know and I will Xerox the one that came with mine and snail mail to a SubCommittee member!

Here is what a D&E WTC 3.5 looks like installed in a 1/72nd Thor Alfa-

If it is a Small World Models WTC (www.geocities.com/smallworldmodels/wtc.html)- it looks something like this:

One of the differences is that the Merriman WTC has a little float device to help keep you from wasting Propel, the Small World one assumes you can count "one-onethousand" and don't need a gas saver. :D
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby TopGun » Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:07 am

Ahhh That helps alot! I read some stuff and I have a general idea of how everything works... though I'm still not 100% sure how to do the stuffing box and shaft. But the Permit looks to be very similar in construction so I will just follow along. So far the instructions on the site are top notch. As for the WTC, I have the small world WTC... where could I possibly find directions to those?
Thanks,
Tom Kudla
TopGun

Return to General