Banner Ad 1

Wax sub hulls? - Should / should not

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby Robse » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:21 am

Hi fellow subbers.

A while ago I read a thread about hard water stains on a hull after a trip to the pond. That started a series of long-term solutions idears...maybe.

Would it be a good idea to wax the entire hull with car-wax?
That would keep the stains off, AND when the sub sat in the surface the water drops would run off, and prevent the sub from looking like a real size sub with giant water drops all over it. Second it might even protect the paint, and the epoxy hull in the long run?

Anyone have experiences with the use of wax on sub's? Am I totally off track here, or is it worth a series of tests?
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Postby Ramius-II » Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:19 pm

Hi Robert:
I know Thierry uses wax on his sub, and one other possibilty for you would be to use a clear coating called "Hard Coat". It's a spray like paint only clear and not a gloss finish. It would be like giving the sub a teflon coat. :D

Best, Ed :;):
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Postby RPM » Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:55 pm

I think the big beads of water would look goofey on a little sub,

But it definately would keep more clean with wax. If you ever have to do any paint touch up you need to remove the wax with pretty harsh stuff, and if you painted your sub with Rattle can spraypaint it would probably take the paint with the wax off.
RPM

Postby Robse » Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:45 pm

Hi fellers.

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't gotten around to think about the issue concerning touch-up and removal of the wax.. Exelent point, note taken. Maybe the best approach would be to look around for a paint that repels water and dirt itself, but still keeping it a little dull (and not shiny / reflective) in order to keep the illution of a big object. Hmm.. It's test-time.. :)
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Return to General