Banner Ad 1

My type VIIC had an accident

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby 84-1046442519 » Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:16 am

G'Day guy's
Just wanted to let you know about an accident last week at the pond. I was at the side of the pond gassing the ballast system ready for a demonstration at a model boat club when an elderly man lent down to shake my hand. He lost his footing and fell over right on top of the sub and smashed up the bow. All the bow plane protectors where ripped off and the bow planes bent up. This was only the second trip to the pond since completing the boat. As distraut as I was, I soon discovered the bennifits of using 24hr epoxy to glue the bow plane protectors in place as it is strong enough to do the job of holding the planes in place but when someone falls on it, they brake off without damaging the fiberglass hull. If I had fiberglassed the things in, the damage would have been huge. The old guy was beside himself over what had happened but it was not his fault. It was just a freak accident. You have all seen the boat I am talking about. I am now a bit wiser about people getting close to the boat when it is on display but what do you do. If you are not prepeared to get the boat dammaged then it should be locked up in a glass case. I for one am not for this but do be aware of how you position the boat at the lake in regaurds to the public.
Keith
84-1046442519

Postby RPM » Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:56 pm

Just shake it off as a survivable depth charge attack, but this time they were dropping enormous humans from the air,
just be glad he didnent explode :p

Edited By RPM on 1055732455
RPM

Postby 84-1046442519 » Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:03 am

Thanks RPM. I like your sence of humer and Thats the only way to deal with it. It could have been a lot worse if they dropped a human depth charge write in the middle of the boat. I will be using epoxy again just in case.
Keith
84-1046442519

Postby Robse » Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:23 am

Hi Keith

Sorry to read about your accident! Hope you get your beautifull sub fully restored soon. Thanks for the advice too. They can nuke'em, shake & bake'em, but when it starts to rain senior citicens, THEN I draw the line. I think you should paint half a cane on the side of the sail? :D

About the epoxy: There's another good reason to use 24hr types: Anything faster than that can not endure water in the long run, and turns into goo. (See ThorDesign's site for details.)
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Postby Pat Davis » Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:26 am

Thats a shame. At least it's reparable and not a totall loss.
It's a chaotic world out there... count your blessings :)
So let me get this straight, Your Honda has 1.6 liters, whereas my bottle of Mountain Dew has 2?
Pat Davis

Return to General