Banner Ad 1

picts of my new boat under testing

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby RPM » Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:45 am

Finally doing some sea trials on my scratch built 1/20 type IId.
some spect's:

81" long
9.5" beam
55 lbs dry
6" wtc
4 ballast tanks {compressed air}
onboard 145psi compressor
2 behr 3.00:1.00 belt drives
2.5" cast brone props
PCM receiver {better signal and failsafe}
electromechnical blow valves and main induction valves
WTC water detector{ automatically blows any water from the wtc if it enters}
ballast xfer pump to control attitude while stationary

Has been working great in the SF bay, can maintain control so long as the periscope/antenna is out of the water
picts :D

Edited By RPM on 1055144848
RPM

Postby 115-1054579405 » Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:50 am

Thanks very much for sharing those pictures. You've got yourself a beautiful u-boat there! :) Also, I personally found it encouraging to see a R/C sub in saltwater, as I'll be ocean-bound myself should I choose to take the leap into the wacky world of subs.

What other precautions did you take to get your boat ready for saltwater ops? I presume your battery(s) is not located in the free-flooding part of the hull, or else you had to waterproof it, correct? What's your post-patrol cleaning procedure like?
115-1054579405

Postby RPM » Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:49 pm

No, everything except for waterproofed servos is inside the WTC. I had a terrible time trying to figure out this one problem: Every time I would put her in the water WITH the motors engaged, the planes servos would go nuts, eventually I found that my transmissions were actually carrying current out the boat through the shafts and screws {since the motor mounts are all metal, as is the drive system} I dont know if it would have had this problem in freshwater, but I suspect it might.

So anyway, I had hours of maddening frustration over the lack of a 10 cent nylon washer.

Othet than that the saltwter really isint that bad at all if you hose it off or better yet keep a tank at home filled with fresh water to dunk it in when your finished.

Just be sure to have a failsafe and a very long antenna/periscope to keep out of the water, my PCM failsafe engages almost immediately when the antenna goes below the surface{ motors all stop, planes neutral, blow ballast}
has worked great.

:D

Rick
RPM

Postby smwarships » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:57 am

Hi RPM ,

Nice work on the U-Boat .. :D
Where did you get the kit from ??
I will have to add a link to your website photos to my
website . Those photos should generate some interest
in RC Subs .
By the way , how did you water proof your servos ??

Darle
darle@smwarships.com

Scale Model WarShips

Edited By smwarships on 1055440102
smwarships

Return to General