Banner Ad 1

Video at Woods Hole Boat Show - see my Alfa run in the test tank & pics

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby Art Broder » Thu May 29, 2003 11:33 am

:O I have a bare-bones site where you can see a video of my Alfa and pics of my L.A.
The URL doesn't seem to work yet, so search for "MSN Groups", then Search "this site for 'model submarines', then click on Art Broder's models".
On the left column, click Documents to see the two videos available. The one on Woods Hole is in the Oceaographic Institutions' tow tank. The other video shows my ballast bladder inflating and deflating, demonstrating my simple ballast system.
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby 115-1045840519 » Thu May 29, 2003 12:51 pm

The following link took me there, although I was unable to locate some of the photos.

http://groups.msn.com/ArtBrodersmodels/home.htm

Jerome
115-1045840519

Postby Robse » Thu May 29, 2003 1:04 pm

Hi Art Broder

Nice pic's!!! Thx for sharing. On your very fine model I can see two smaller prop's on the dive planes. I wonder..what are the small propellers on the dive planes used for? Are they for slow/silent run, or do they serve to distort the sound image of the sub when running? (I guess I need to read up on my sub theory..)
???
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Postby Art Broder » Fri May 30, 2003 5:59 pm

Robse,
Glad that you were able to view the videos and pictures.
The creeper motors were fashioned from a photo with Russian captions. Since I'm neither a linguist nor a purist, I cannot say with certainty how or why they were used. I did read elsewhere, that other Russian subs did use the creeper motors for moving slowly and quietly, just as you surmised.
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby 84-1046442519 » Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:49 am

Hi guy's
I would just like to know were to click on the web site to get the movie.
Keith
84-1046442519

Postby Robse » Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:06 am

Silently approaching in the shallow waters of the Board, I ask my sonar for new contacts. Upon the calm answer that there are none, I surface, and pop the hatch. Here I write a message on a note, and put it in a bottle, launch it, and return to the quiet world below. The note reads: "Ehm... I could not find the video eigher, but I surely enjoyed the pictures.."
:D
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Postby Art Broder » Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:21 am

TypeVIIC and Robse,
Gents- I was away for a few days and just found out you were lost on my MSN Groups site. If you saw the pictures, you were at the site. At the site, in the column at your left, with the light blue background, you will see 4 choices. Click on "Documents". Then click on my Woods Hole 2003 video at the bottom of the new list. There are a few pictures, at the beginning of the video, of the 'Remus", a research sub with an on-board computer, and then you should see my Alfa running in the tow tank.
If you have a media player you should be able to view the videos.
There is also a short video, with the hull opened up, showing the ballast bladder inflating and deflating. That is the choice just above the bottom Woods Hole choice.
If you have any more problems with the site, let me know.
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby 84-1046442519 » Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:04 am

Hi again
Still cannot find the video link. It just goes to some MSN site which is full of adds and nothing else. Try setting up a web page with Tripod. It seems to start to go to the documents page but then automatically swithes to another page before you get to see it.
Keith
84-1046442519

Postby Art Broder » Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:36 am

Gents,
I'm on an iMac now and can see the pics on my site , but not the videos. I guess the Windows based computers work to view my videos with Windows Media Player, but not Apple with Quick Time. Sorry. :(
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Return to General