Banner Ad 1

New speed controller?

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby secrtwpn » Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:56 pm

A friend of mine bought a new speed controller for his 1/96 destroyer (a target).....It is an Airtronics ES-01. It is very small...about 1" X 1/2". He got from Hobby People (which is a chain here in California, www.hobbypeople.net) for $30.00. I said to myself......hmmmm.....I wonder if it would work in a sub...... It is supposed to be automatically adjusting.......

Any ideas about this???????????

Farlan Clutters
Hesperia, CA.
Farlan Clutters
secrtwpn
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tim Morris » Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:17 pm

i see what you mean, but the reason i would not use one from one of my GWS electric planes for example, is that no matter how many amps it could take, there is no reverse.

if it has reverse (and can take it) for 30 bucks it might be a good deal. i wonder though, if it is the source of power for your radio and cant take it--fries the BEC, then your radio ist kaput. unless you have a separate reciever battery.

i didnt see that one in the hobby people marine esc section.

I got the new one from matt thor that is slim and can run my sub from a 12v gel cell with a speed 500 motor, and it is as smooth as it can be. and has a BEC. its heavy duty but not bulky.

after getting that one (the new thor esc) for not much more than your freind spent-i think you would want the thor product. its not too big, but your not gonna be nervous about it frying while you are in the middle of the pond either.
they are a lot cheaper than they used to be.

its pretty cool how many options we have. i think our ability to use the products is by far the limiting factor. :angry:

Edited By Tim Morris on 1055129527
Best Regards,
Tim Morris
Tim Morris

Postby RPM » Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:20 am

The Mtronics marine esc sold at hobbypeople works excellant, is completely waterproof, and handles the two 12v 7ah gell cells in my boat driving two 540 type motors and belt drives. great value for 35 bucks. :;):

Edited By RPM on 1055143258
RPM

Return to General