Banner Ad 1

Blueback Detail Tip

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby Carter » Mon May 19, 2003 1:12 pm

Here's a tip for detailing Blueback. This will enhance the appearance of the line running beneath the upper casing and the hull. In the pictures of Blueback the casing appears like thick sheet metal, and the gap between the casing and the hull is dark and pronounced. This is well-represented on the model, but it can be improved.

First, deepen the line of demarcation with a scribing tool. I used the tip of a half-round needle file. I ran the file, flat side agaist the hull, back and forth along the gap, pushing inwards. The material cuts readily. Work carefully, both to avoid scratches and to avoid going too deep (don't worry, there is plenty of fiberglas there). Anyway, you don't have to go very deep to achieve the effect. 1/16" is plenty. Sand to remove any marks or scratches left by the tool.

Now paint the hull. I used floquil paints, 60% engine black and 40% grimy black. After trying various mixes, this one seemed to yield a scale black that I could believe was black, and yet was light enough to see the surface clearly. Next, take a thin detail brush and lay down a line of engine balck inside the gap between the upper casing and the hull. The paint should cover the undersurface of the gap, as well as extend from the gap along the hull to the point where you can see it when viewing the hull from directly above. Next, take the 60%/40% hull color mix and, holding the airbrush directly above the casing, spray down along the gap, following the hull so as to leave the black "shadow" just under the lip of the casing.

The results are very satisfying. When viewing Blueback there appears to be a real gap between the casing and the hull.

Question: does anyone have a technique to represent the sheet-metal-over frame pattern we see on the sails of some boats?
Carter

Postby sam reichart » Mon May 19, 2003 2:29 pm

Ask David Merriman about the process he followed for this on the Albacore.
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Wed May 21, 2003 11:26 am

Dave M3 covers it quite nicely when he details a boomer model in his painting, detailing and weathering video - definitely worth the money. I'm still no good at painting but at least now I know what I am doing wrong and what I need to do to get better at it!
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby 109-1054867062 » Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:00 am

I am looking for a small scale model of the Blueback, I've seen the Small World Model's RC sub, its great, but I'm looking for a desktop model, somewhere in the 12"-36" range. Do you happen to know anyone that might make one?? I am a tour guide on the USS Blueback SS-581 in Portland, Oregon. I am interested in using one model for our museum, and another for my own interest. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
109-1054867062

Postby Carter » Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:46 pm

Michael:

I suspect Dave might sell you just the hull only, without the WTC, and you could build it up as a static model. Also, perhaps you could get the museum to pay for it? You could build it for them? It seems common sense that they should have a model of Blueback among their displays.
Carter

Postby Carter » Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:49 pm

Postscript:

Small World's Blueback is 27" long. That certainly fits your (above) criteria.
Carter

Return to General