Banner Ad 1

Image - Jack SSN-605 contraprops - Confirmed identical to Albacore's

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby Dolphin » Wed May 28, 2003 4:54 am

A blurry/fuzzy but important image of USS Jack SSN-605 in Gibraltar in what I estimate to be a post -1969 (NATS dome aft & BRD-7 mast fixed fairing on sail) but pre-1979 photo (shows 'clip on' towed array location for starboard sternplane but not replaced with a new port side retractable towed array yet with fairing added) revealing Jack's contra-props.

This image confirms my long held theory that this propulsor which we already knew was first tested on USS Albacore AGSS-569 Phase IV is in fact identical in set up and appearance to Jack's. Jacks propulsor in size and shape, number of blades etc. shows no upgrade or changes compared to Albacore's prototype as seen clearly now in Albacore park. I had advised in the past if one was to model 'Jack's propulsor, to follow Albacore's completely. This confirms it. Very cool!

Steve R.
Dolphin

Postby Carter » Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:02 pm

Steve:

I am having difficulty making out the props....

The idea is intriguing. Anybody want to make me a pair of props and a frame for the motors to fit on my Sturgeon, now in drydock? And a few drawings and suggestions for the shafts? :D
Carter

Postby PaulC » Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:00 pm

Okay, scratch the comments below -- I was thinking she was a Sturgeon class and not a Permit. My bad.
Hey, the tips of her stern planes are bare as well. Was that true for her entire service life?

Edited By PaulC on 1054523410
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Carter » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:29 am

My mistake. Jack is a Permit.

http://www.uss-jack.org/ssnindex.html
Carter

Return to General