Banner Ad 1

FLEET SUBMARINE ON-LINE - COMPLETE NAVPER MANUALS

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby 108-1048007364 » Tue May 27, 2003 9:31 am

IF YOUR INTERESTED GO TO http://www.maritime.org/fleetsub/index.htm

this site has all hte NAVPER manuals for the fleet sub scanned in. navper 16160 thru 16169. it has everything that is in those books. you cna down load all the illistrations or the whole book. this is invaluable for those interested in fleet boats......Lester
108-1048007364

Postby raalst » Tue May 27, 2003 4:28 pm

Nice !

I like the detail photos !

this should be in our links, I think

Regards,
Ronald
Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby 108-1054181080 » Thu May 29, 2003 12:17 am

These manuals show the surface shaft power to the screws as 5400shp , yet several reputable authors refer to a figure of 4160 shp , this despite the fact the propulsion machinery
remains " as -built "
Would appreciate any comment about the surface power of the USN Fleet Submarine and its GUPPY mod's that retained the same machinery.
Lofty
108-1054181080

Postby Desert Boat » Thu May 29, 2003 2:45 am

I always wondered why people ask questions like this ... does it really matter what "several reputable authors" wrote later?
Regardless of the answer, the boats did their assigned tasks and did them well. Don't worry about unanswerable things like this on a model submarine board. I want to puke when I see threads start on SMML with questions like "Would the Yamato outrun the Missouri in a 60-mile speed dash?" I'm sorry, I just tire of hypothetical (is that spelled right?) stuff. ???
Ray Agee
SCM #2551
Cactus Navy
Tempe, Arizona
Lord ... Shield us from the UltraSensitive!
Desert Boat

Postby 108-1054181080 » Fri May 30, 2003 12:30 am

Well its bit like collecting train numbers .Non-violent .
But actually I was advised to try this forum because there are people who know a lot about submarine history as well a making models .No need to be so bloody rude about it . I shall go back to the ex-submariners site where they are robust but generally civil, perhaps due our common background.

And for the record it is a significant question if one is interested in the design development of real submarines .
Lofty
108-1054181080

Postby JWLaRue » Fri May 30, 2003 9:55 am

re: ..."does it really matter what "several reputable authors" wrote later?"

Well, I for one do care. There is nothing wrong with looking for better, more accurate information. Let's face it authors make mistakes, allow their own bias to slant their work, and are just as prone to error as any of us.

The best example of this that I know of is the perennial question that asks: "How close did the German U-boats come to winning the Battle of the Atlantic?" Until recently, authors were uniformly stating the same opinion......but no longer, thanks to a more recent and closer look at the Battle.

In some cases (like the SHP question) it may make little difference other than to the person asking the question, but his question is still valid.

I was just asked last night about the thickness of the steel used on a Gato vs. a Balao....does it really matter in today's world? Probably not, but there is nothing wrong with looking for the right answer.

If you happen to be someone who doesn't care about this, then don't let it bother you. We'll still ask (and answer) those questions! :)

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Return to General