Banner Ad 1

I have finished my Type VIIC - See the photo's and thanks to all

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby 84-1046442519 » Thu May 22, 2003 11:21 am

G'day all
Just wanted to let you all know I have finished my Type VIIC and she successfuly sailed at the pond with no problems. I would like to thank Albert Johnson and Tim Smalley for all there help and time they gave me as without them,I could not have done it. You can see the photo's at the URL below.I would also like to thank the many others who have helped on the message boards
Regards Keith WillansMy Type VIIC's first day at the pond
84-1046442519

Postby Robse » Thu May 22, 2003 12:23 pm

Way to go, Keith! I've said it before, but still: I'm amazed by the level of detail, and I'm happy to see that she performs perfectly. Congratulations!
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Postby Tim Morris » Thu May 22, 2003 1:41 pm

Great Job!! What a good looking submarine!

I like the weathering and detail too. It looks very realistic.
Best Regards,
Tim Morris
Tim Morris

Postby Don Prince » Thu May 22, 2003 8:09 pm

Hi Keith,

Great work! I assume your U-boat is from OTW? I just finished the hull on mine with the brass tower [Das Boot U-96]. Did you build the brass tower or use the resin one? I still have not decided on a WTC type yet. I'm thinking about a modified Merriman WTC with a high pressure pump ballast tank system, something like OTW's WTC. Are you using Bob's WTC? Again, great job!

Regards,
Don_
"A man's got to know his limitations"
Harry Callahan SFPD
Don Prince
SubCommittee Member

Location: 5335 Brierstone Drive, Alpharetta, Ga, phone 678-577-0476

Postby 84-1046442519 » Fri May 23, 2003 5:29 am

Hi Don
The conning tower was scratch built from styrene sheeting which was heated up and pressed over a mould made from wood. Two halves where made and then glued together. The hull is a 32nd parallel with a scratch built deck. I built the WTC with 110mm lexan tubing. It has a gas ballast system too. If you go to my main web page,you can see a lot more photo,s there during construction.Just click on the world symbol at the bottom of my post and it will take you there. Thanks for all the kind comments guy's.
Keith
84-1046442519

Postby sam reichart » Fri May 23, 2003 11:45 am

what a beautiful model! congratulations on your successful first cruise. now, go write an article about how you built it!!

Sam
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby 84-1046442519 » Fri May 23, 2003 12:10 pm

You may remember an article in the sub committee report on basic weathering and detailing on which the techniques where deminstrated on a type VII conning tower. Well this is the boat that conning tower went on to. I will be writing an article on the complete construction of the boat as it has some interesting things about the way it actually works. I will also be writing an article on making PERFECT control surfaces as after many attempts at soldering the brass sheet and having it warp I developed a very simple way of making them where they come out perfect every time.
Keith
P.S Keep a look out Sam
84-1046442519

Return to General