Banner Ad 1

Port and Starboard Lights on a nuke

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby Mihelich » Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:13 pm

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if someone could tell me were the port and starboard lights are located on a typical nuclear attack sub (Sturgeon). I would think that they may be at the tip of the sail fins but I may be wrong. Then again maybe there are none.

Thanks,
Tom
Mihelich

Postby Martin Entwistle » Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:01 pm

I had a similar general question a couple of years ago and found a site, I think the e mail address was something like SUBS100@hq.navy.mil ? I asked the question and was pleasantly suprised to get a reply
The answer they gave me was;
"The light layout varies slightly from ship class to ship class. On the Los Angeles or 688 class fast attacks submarines the permanently mounted lights consist of a white stern light mounted on the top of the rudder, port and starboard running lights mounted in cavities on either side of the sail (each has a Plexiglas cover which is flush with the sail surface). A semi-permanent series of lights is mounted on the Navigation Identification Mast which can be raised and lowered as needed. The lights on this mast consist of an amber flashing submarine identification beacon (Sub ID beacon) and a white masthead light. The amber light is located at the top of the mast just below the mast fairing and the masthead light is located on an arm situated just below the amber light. As the mast is lowered the masthead light mechanism "tucks in" as the mast enters the sail. When in port or at anchor lights mounted on portable light masts can be installed forward and aft of the sail. Lastly, there is an "all-around" anchor light mounted on top of the stern light housing which is
mounted on top of the rudder."
I can't help specifically on the Sturgeon. Hope this helps

Martin
Martin Entwistle

Postby Mihelich » Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:01 pm

Thanks for the great reply Martin. This is just the info I was looking for.
:D

Tom
Mihelich

Postby ThorDesign » Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:55 pm

Tom,

Look on the plans that came with your kit. The light is the vertically oriented rectangle directly above the "3" in the sail numbers "637". They are in the indentical location, port & starboard.

:)
ThorDesign

Postby chips » Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:05 am

The lights on this mast consist of an amber flashing submarine identification beacon (Sub ID beacon) and a white masthead light.

The amber light flashes a Morse code "S" - three quick flashes followed by 3 seconds of darkness.
Bob Gesking
SC# 1575
KC8WPF
chips
SubCommittee Member

Postby Mihelich » Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:24 am

Matt,

That just confirms were I thought they were. I was just putting out the question to make sure. I did not know about the ... amber light. Very interesting. Being a Ham operator also (K8TDM) that is even more cool.

Tom
Mihelich

Postby Silent Hunter » Wed May 07, 2003 2:42 am

Hi guys, saw this topic and it prompted me to ask the question that has been buzzing in my head for a few days now. Somewhere recently I read that a flashing signal particular to submarines was a blue flashing light, or blue strobe. Maybe this was particular to Soviet subs, as opposed to the amber SOS? Maybe I'm just mistaken. Can anyone else help clarify this?

Edited By Silent Hunter on 1052289792
Richard Frisch
Subcommittee member #2348
Silent Hunter

Postby Robse » Thu May 08, 2003 1:09 pm

Hi, fellow subbers.

I agree with SilentHunter on the light-issue. I too have read that sub's has a blue flashing light at top, and in a book at my stepdad's about naval rules, signals and lights support this.
It says that sub's has a blue flashing (2 Hz) light, and that no other ship is allowed to carry this identification but sub's.

I think we'd better get an expert on the deck, then again... "Martin Entwistle" got his answer from a navy contact, but that answer does not agree with the book, me nor SilentHunter. Anyone?

Edited By Robse on 1052413877
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Postby chips » Sat May 10, 2003 6:49 pm

From the USCG NavCen site: http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navrules ... 01Intl.htm . The full text of Rule 1 is:

(a) These Rules shall apply to all vessels upon the high seas and in all waters connected therewith navigable by seagoing vessels.

(b) Nothing in these Rules shall interfere with the operation of special rules made by an appropriate authority for roadsteads, harbors, rivers, lakes, or inland waterways connected with the high seas and navigable by seagoing vessels. Such special rules shall conform as closely as possible to these Rules.

© Nothing in these Rule shall interfere with the opration of any special rules made by the Government of any State with respect to additional station or signal lights, shaper or whistle signals for ships of war and vessels proceeding inder convoy, or with respect to additional station or signal lights or shapes for fishing vessels engaged in fishing as a fleet. These additional station or signal lights, shapes or whistle signals shall, so far as possible, be such that they cannot be mistaken for any light, shape, or signal authorized elsewhere under these Rules.1

(d) Traffic separation schemes may be adopted by the Organization for the purpose of these Rules.

(e) Whenever the Government concerned shall have determined that a vessel of special construction or purpose cannot comply fully with the provisions of any of these Rules with respect to number, position, range or arc of visibility of lights or shapes, as well as to the disposition and characteristics of sound-signaling appliances, such vessel shall comply with such other provisions in regard to number, position, range or arc of visibility of lights or shapes, as well as to the disposition and characteristics of sound-signaling appliances, as her Government shall have determined to be the closest possible compliance with these Rules in respect to that vessel.

1 Submarines may display, as a distinctive means of identification, an intermittent flashing amber (yellow) beacon with a sequence of operation of one flash per second for three (3) seconds followed by a three (3) second off-period. Other special rules made by the Secretary of the Navy with respect to additional station and signal lights are found in Part 706 of Title 32, Code of Federal Regulations (32 CFR 706).

The reference for a "blue fllashing" light mey be in 32CFR7006. The Nav Rules state that only vessels engaged in law enforcement my disply blue flashing lights - CG cutters & boats, USN ships with a deployed CG law enforcement detachment, police boats, etc.
Bob Gesking
SC# 1575
KC8WPF
chips
SubCommittee Member

Postby Robse » Tue May 13, 2003 2:45 am

Hi Chips and CO.
Well, I guess that settles it then (At least for the US sub's), Thx. :)
An SSBN engaged in law enforcement would make Dirty Harry look like Alice in Wonderland, so I'll get rid of the blue light ASAP. :D "Did I fire 24 Tridents, or only 23? To tell U the trouth, I lost count my self in all these bubbles..." :D
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Return to General